Please sign in to post.

Luggage Storage in Stockholm

I've heard that the Ahlens City department store in Stockholm will store luggage for a 10kr fee. Is this correct, and if so, what are the hours of operation? Any problems with rolling packed luggage through the store on the way in, but more importantly on the way out?

Posted by
353 posts

Hi Jon,

There are luggage lockers located inside the Stockholm central train station (Stockholm C). They are called "Förvaringsboxar" or "Speed Lockers" in English and are located on the ground floor next to the escalator and in the Upper hall opposite Panini and Blueberry. There are 2 sizes, Medium and Large, see below for prices:

Medium Box 
Price: 60 SEK for 4 hours
Price: 70 SEK for 24 hours 

Large box 
Price: 80 SEK for 4 hours
Price: 90 SEK for 24 hours

Payment with coins or credit card. Payment with coins, SEK 5 or 10. Storage maximum 7 days. Be sure to keep your receipt, it is your key.

Posted by
768 posts

Thanks for the information. It seemed unusual to me that a department store would be this accommodating to the forlorn traveler.

As it turns out, I booked a flight that will permit us to be in Stockholm an additional day, so we'll get a hotel and have a place to drop off the luggage (and avoid the need for a locker).

For future reference, can one usually find a vacant luggage locker at the Stockholm station? We faced a similar situation in Bergen a couple years ago and had to stand around ready to "pounce" when a locker became available--and then our credit card (chip and pin) wouldn't work in the payment kiosk. After going through every credit card we had, one finally was accepted.

Posted by
5516 posts

Åhléns has different info about its luggage lockers on its Swedish web page so the English page may be out of date. This page shows the price of a small locker (Små förvaringsskåp) as 35 SEK and a large locker ( Stora förvaringsskåp) as 70 SEK. The hours would be the store hours as it is within the store.
http://www.ahlens.se/cms/20160108_171950

As to whether the lockers in the Central Station fill up, it probably depends on the time of year. There are also lockers in the bus terminal (Cityterminalen) across the street from the Central Station.

Posted by
153 posts

Thanks, I have been looking for that information! We arrive early morning in Stockholm by cruise ship in mid July and have a late flight and want to visit Stockholm for the day. I have searched for luggage storage information in Rick Steves current Scandinavia and Northern European Cruise guide books and could not find information on luggage storrage. I am surprised in that I have many Steves guide books and they are usually very good with information on luggage storage in train and bus stations.