Hello! We (a couple, mid-50s, active but also enjoy relaxing) are going to Scandinavia for 3 weeks in August, and I would love some feedback on our itinerary. We have round-trip flights to Stockholm as I found a fantastic fare, so the trip starts and ends there, no matter what.
Here's what we have so far, which is loosely based on Rick's 3-week Scandinavia by train/boat itinerary:
- Day 0 -- land in Stockholm in the evening
- Days 1 - 3 -- Stockholm, then night boat to Helsinki
- Days 4 - 5 -- Helsinki
- Day 6 -- boat to Tallinn, overnight there
- Day 7 -- afternoon flight to Oslo
- Days 8 - 10 -- Oslo
- Days 11 - 15 -- Norway in a Nutshell / extra Sognefjord side trips, ending in Bergen on day 14, flying to Copenhagen day 15
- Days 16 - 19 -- Copenhagen
- Day 20 -- train to Kalmar
- Day 21 -- Kalmar and train to Stockholm, stay near airport
- Day 22 -- fly home early morning
Does this make sense? Are we spending too much time someplace and shortchanging somewhere else too much? Flying somewhere when a train would be more enjoyable?