Please sign in to post.

Hotel Recommendations

Hotel recommendations for a single Traveller in Stockholm for 5-6 nights in August? Preferably close to the central station.

Posted by
6393 posts

What kind of hotel are you looking for? Something cheap? A mid-range hotel or do you want to splurge on a luxury stay.

There are a bunch of decent mid range hotels on Vasagatan and close to it. But while it is a good place for access to public transportation, it's not the area I'd suggest staying in.

Posted by
20 posts

Badger,
Thanks - middle of the road for me. Hostels are out of the question but would love something centrally (ish) located that I could walk to public transport or simply walk a good bit of the surrounding areas. Maybe around 100 USD per night? I have considered AirBNB but they seem to be basically around the same costs. I have a conference following in Gothenburg the week after, so planning to arrive early in Stockholm, see the city, and then move on to work... would take your restaurant recommendations if you have any, too. I'll pretty much try any food.

Posted by
27122 posts

I think rooms with good cancellation policies around the equivalent of $100 per night will be tough to find during the summer unless you're OK with not having a window. That's not a medium price range in Stockholm. I'd suggest taking a look at what's available on booking.com to get an idea of what you may need to spend. There are lots of filters you can use to screen out places that don't meet your needs. The least expensive places with good quality ratings may be in somewhat inconvenient locations, though Stockholm is a lovely city, so walking isn't necessarily a bad thing.

On a revisit earlier this year I opted for the Ersta Hotell and Konferens on Sodermalm for reasons of economy. It's not particularly centrally located and is nowhere near the train station. In 2022 (when fewer people were traveling, so rates were considerably lower) I snagged a good deal at the Best Western on Gamla Stan. If you end up looking at chain hotels, you may be able to save 5% or so by joining the chain's affinity group.

I'd agree that the area right around the train station didn't seem like an especially pleasant place to stay. Not bad, just sort of charmless.

Posted by
6393 posts

So this is just a short stop in Stockholm before taking the train to Gothenburg? In that case I guess close to the central station is not the worst idea. There is a Scandic right across the street that can be worth considering, or Freys or Hotel C. If you want something cheap and central, have a look at Comfort Hotel Xpress. I stayed there a few years ago when I needed a place to sleep in central Stockholm. Simple and basic and no breakfast. But cheap, and the room had a window.

Posted by
12 posts

I think it’s a bit more than 100 USD per night, but I can’t speak highly enough of the Sparrow Hotel. It’s not extravagant but is a well-located, wonderful hotel with a great included breakfast.

Posted by
9578 posts

You said you didn't want a hostel, but my brother's family and I stayed at the Generator Hostel, which also has private rooms, and it is near the train station. I has a single room with its own bathroom, and they had a family room.

You could have breakfast downstairs if you bought it, I always went to a favorite cafe.

You can check their website for pricing on the private rooms for your dates. I am kind of doubting though that you can get a private room for $100/night, but who knows.

Posted by
8 posts

We've been to Stockholm many times. I studied here and was married in this lovely city.

In terms of location to the train station, the Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel is close by, might be higher than $100. I will add that the subway system is so easy to use and you can stay a little further out if needed.

You could stay at these hotels with a little walk to the train station:
- Elite Hotel Adlon
- Freys Hotel
- Scandic Continental

I have many favorite restaurants. What type of food do you prefer?