Please sign in to post.

Help with train reservations

I'm traveling to Scandanavia for the first time with my daughter and purchased a Scandanavian Rail Pass (ACP Rail). I read that reservations are needed during the summer, but when I called ACP Rail, they could not make reservations for the high speed train from Stockholm to Oslo and back. They also could not make reservations for Goteborg to Copenhagen, Voss to Oslo, and Oslo to Goteborg. Apparently those are different companies. I would book the reservations via internet, but don't see a way to do so with a rail pass. I'm hoping someone can provide guidance!!!

Thanks!

Martha

Posted by
16893 posts

The direct trains on most of your routes don't require reservations.

It's pretty common for the Scandinavian railways not to open reservations to outside agents but Rail Europe does have them at least from Stockholm to Oslo, which is the one from your list that does require a seat assignment before boarding.

You have to have the pass activated in a station before first use, so you can make some seat reservations at that time, too. FYI, the routes mentioned are all Swedish-run (SJ), except for Voss to Oslo by Norwegian rail.

Direct trains between Sweden and Copenhagen are not yet available for booking past August 7, as they work out a new system of ID checks at the border.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you so much, Laura, for your help!

On the SJ website, I do not see trains that go directly to Oslo. Do they all change in Lillestroem and then require a bus to Oslo? There is also a cost, and I don't mind paying for reservations, but the prices don't make sense to me. Non-refundable tickets cost more than refundable. My travel date is Sunday August 7 and they show the prime times (09-11) sold out. And no direct trains. Any suggestions? Maybe due to border crossing issues?

Posted by
16893 posts

I see that train schedules from Stockholm to Oslo are disrupted from August 1 - 7, which must be due to construction on the line.

• Only the first portion to Lillestrom is the reserved X200 (SJ HiSpeed) and I see that Rail Europe has that reservation available for all three departures. But it's not an e-ticket, so you'd have to pay to have it shipped to you.
  • I see that www.sj.se should allow you to book the reservation by choosing Customer Card = Interrail/Eurail. And then they say this train is sold out. But I'm sure that's not the case 6 weeks out, particularly since they show the same message for the whole week (with or without a pass), and since RE has it available.
  • I think you'll be safe to get reservations a couple of days ahead at a Scandinavian train station (or a travel agency if they sell train tickets).