Please sign in to post.

Gotland trip August 2024

Finally getting around to visiting Gotland next month lol. The plan is to meet with friends flying in to Gothenburg, then we all fly to Visby, 3-4 nights, renting a car and using Visby as a base to explore the island. I feel I have sites in Visby pretty narrowed down, like the Ringwall, the old medieval buildings, maybe the Gotlands Museum. I have a few initial questions:

Outside of Visby, I'm not too sure what to visit on the island? We're big medieval history buffs and I found very fascinating the Battle of Visby exhibit at the Swedish History Museum in Stockholm.

Are there any hotels in Visby that you would recommend, preferably modern?

Are there any restaurants in Visby that recreate medieval style cuisine? I ate at one such restaurant in Malbork Castle in Poland and it was a highlight of my visit there.

Thank you so much! I'm sure we might have more questions as we get closer to the trip :)

Posted by
6848 posts

When exactly are you going? Are you aware of the Medieval week? https://www.medeltidsveckan.se/en/welcome/ If you're "big medieval history buffs" that might be your cup of tea, even if you don't speak Swedish.

Regarding restaurants, it sounds like you might enjoy Kapitelhusgården, https://www.kapitelhusgarden.se/en/ If you're looking for a modern hotel my recommendation would probably be the Scandic next to the port. But I have to admit that I think you shouldn't focus too much on the modernity and stay somewhere closer to the old town. Anyway you should not wait too long with booking a place to stay.

Don't miss the museum, it might not be as big as the history museum in Stockholm, but it has a great exhibition on the history of the island. Including the picture stones, which I personally find very fascinating. Although they might be a bit too old for you if you prefer medieval history. And a personal recommendation is the big ice cream shop close to the port. They claim to have the largest selection in Europe with 356 different flavours.

And don't rent a car when you arrive, it's useless in Visby and if you have 3-4 nights om Gotland you want to spend at least 2-3 days in Visby itself.

It's getting late now, but I have a lot more to say about the island.

Posted by
4120 posts

Thanks Badger for your assistance once again! We're going the week of the 19th most likely, but I'll pitch the Medieval week idea, that's a great tip. We'll also definitely go to the museum then.

Posted by
6848 posts

If you're able to reschedule your trip I think you might like it. But keep in mind that finding a place to stay in Visby during the Medieval week can be hard and/or expensive. It will be easier once the week is over. Also don't miss a visit to the cathedral as well as all the old church ruins in the central town. There is a lot of history even outside Visby, but it is a bit more spread out. On the other hand there is a lot of great nature outside Visby, and if you have an interest in movies I can recommend a trip to Fårö and the Bergman centre.