Please sign in to post.

first time to Sweden

Hi,

I will be traveling to Sweden in December and staying there for two months. I’m feeling a bit scared and unsure about this trip. I’m currently trying to learn some Swedish, but I have no idea where to explore, where to find a place to stay, how to use public transportation, or how to network with people there. Do you have any tips?

Posted by
1857 posts

Can you offer a little more information?

• Why are you going? Why did you decide to spend two months in Sweden?
  • What is your age? Fitness level?
  • What are your interests? History? Scenery? Culture? Big cities? Small towns? Islands?
  • What is your budget? Approximately how much are you willing to spend in your two months?
  • Do you have any thoughts about traveling outside Sweden?
  • What kind of networking do you want to do? Travel partners? People to share activities with? Drinking buddies?

For sure you should get yourself a guidebook such as one of these: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sweden+travel+guide&i=stripbooks&crid=20SAGA338GW1Q&sprefix=sweden+travel+guide%2Cstripbooks%2C121&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Start reading. You can find information about places of interest, recommendations for lodging, and how to get around.

Posted by
6848 posts

I agree that a bit more information would be helpful. There is no reason to be scared, but it's really hard to give advice without more specific questions.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for your responses. One reason I feel intimidated is the winter weather, as I don’t know how to cope with it. It’s my first time visiting Sweden, and I’m also unsure where to find affordable housing. I plan to visit Stockholm, Malmö, and Gothenburg. By network, I mean finding people to explore the cities together. I love doing arts and crafts, playing badminton, and hiking (though I’m not sure if hiking is a good idea in winter).

Posted by
6848 posts

One reason I feel intimidated is the winter weather, as I don’t know
how to cope with it.

Warm clothes. You don't mention any location (or any other information) in your profile so I have no idea what kind of climate you are used to. But you only mention places in the south, so the weather will likely not be very harsh.

It’s my first time visiting Sweden, and I’m also unsure where to find
affordable housing.

Hostels can be a good option for longer stays.

I plan to visit Stockholm, Malmö, and Gothenburg.

Why have you choosen them and what are your goals for this trip?

I love doing arts and crafts, playing badminton, and hiking (though
I’m not sure if hiking is a good idea in winter).

Hiking isn't really a big thing in the winter, many hiking trails become ski tracks in the winter.

Posted by
24 posts

Since you are intimidated by wintry weather it is not advisable to go to Sweden during the winter. Arriving in April through August is preferable. Try and see if you can rearrange things, arriving in spring/summer instead. You will not regret it.