Please sign in to post.

Currency

We will be going to Copenhagen and Stockholm in July. We are Canadians and wondering if we should do the money exchange before we leave or use the ATM in the countries we will visit.

Posted by
533 posts

Usually you get the best deal by using the ATMs when you get there. That's what I'm planning to do when I visit Denmark and Sweden this summer (my trip is in August).

It might be an option to not get any of the local currency at all. I've read (but haven't been there yet, so can't confirm) that both Denmark and Sweden are on their way to becoming "cashless societies" where you can use a credit card for almost everything, even small purchases.

If you do get cash in Sweden, be aware that they are in the process of switching to a new series of banknotes. Most denominations will have been switched already before you get there, but the new 100- and 500-krona notes won't be introduced until October, and the old ones become invalid in mid-2017. What this means for you is that if you have leftover Swedish currency that you want to save for a future trip to Sweden, make sure it doesn't include any 100- or 500-krona notes, because you won't be able to use them after next year.

Posted by
3518 posts

It is almost always better to get money from an ATM on arrival than to try and buy some before leaving. Not knowing what type of fees your bank might charge for using your ATM card, but even with fees the bad rate and additional fees you will most likely pay to get the money you need before leaving will make the ATM option more affordable.

If you really want to have some money in your pocket on arrival, then go ahead and purchase $100 or so worth for the first country you will arrive in. Then find bank operated ATMs to get the rest you need as you go.

If you end up with a lot left over from one country when you arrive in the next country, I have found that the Scandinavian banks are very happy to exchange one Scandinavian currency for another at a fairly good rate. Just make sure you use a bank and not a currency exchange booth at the airport.

Posted by
5835 posts

I used the CPH ATM in January. Requested 1500 DKK (about 200 USD). Machine delivered three 500 DKK bills. The large (to me) denomination bills were not a problem using at the train counter to buy our tickets to the central station. As note, the Dane are pretty modern and accept credit cards (even signature cards) for most purchases.

Posted by
971 posts

As a Dane i can confirm that the Scandinavian societies are becomming virtually cash less. I can't remember that last time I used cash, in Denmark or in Sweden. The only places where you might have to use cash are in city buses, if you want to buy your ticket directly from the driver and then only with small denominations, or the odd hot dog stand, that dont have a card machine.
However be ware that Visa is the most commonly accepted credit card, other cards like American Express might not be accepted everywhere.