Please sign in to post.

Biking in Sweden September 2025

Hi everyone, I started biking / hiking trips for my buddies and I in 2021 and we're hoping to bike / hike different countries in Europe. We've biked and hiked Germany / Austria and Switzerland in 21 and this last September and are eager for more. I've been looking at Sweden lately and was wondering if anyone has biked the Gota canal or any other bike paths in Sweden? Would love to hear your thoughts on your trip if possible. I'm hoping to do a week in Sweden biking about 30 miles a day with each of us staying in single rooms in a B and B each day.

Thanks for any help you can provide

God Bless, Monte

Posted by
6396 posts

I have not biked along Göta kanal but I am a bit familiar with the area. Along the canal is not a bad place for a trip through Sweden on bike. In general it is a pretty flat route and there are nice paths along large parts of the canal. But, september is a bit off season. So there might be the issue of several places along the canal being closed for the season. And I don't know how easy it is to cross the lakes in September, I could not find the schedule for the boats online.

There are also other nice options, depending a bit on how long total distance you want. Gotland is popular for bike vacations, and Klarälvsbanan along the river Klarälven also gives you great views of the Swedish nature. And if you don't mind some hills, the area around lake Siljan can also be considered.

Posted by
5519 posts

I think I would choose a ride that offered with views of the coast. I am just a casual cyclist so while I have ridden a bike in Sweden, I’ve only done short rides.

I also think Gotland would be a great place to explore. I rented a bike for the day there to go out to one of the beaches and the scenery was lovely. I just biked along one of the roads; there is little traffic.

There is a bike trail on Öland (Ölandsleden) which might also be a good option. On this link, there is a small amount of info in English
https://www.oland.se/en/cykla
If you click on ”Öland trail” it takes you to a Swedish page. On the Swedish page, you can click on ”Visa på kartan” (Show on the map), it shows the bike trail on Öland. I have visited Öland, but haven’t biked there.