Please sign in to post.

Sweden & Norway ?

Hi, My husband and I are planning 7-8 days in Sweden and possibly Norway in May. My preference would be to see as much of Sweden as possible but my husband would rather see a little of Sweden and then head over to Norway to see the fjords. He likes to see cool natural phenomena more than cities, I just like to travel so I'm good, but biased toward Sweden. As of right now, I have Day 1: Gamla Stan/Vasa Museum/Stockholm. Day 2: Tour the Stockholm Archipelago. Then rent a car and head to Gotland--take the ferry over and spend two days (Days 3-4) touring Visby, caves, and Fårö Island. After that, I don't know. Probably head south some more, but know that we need to go back north for our plane.
On the other hand, if we leave Stockholm and either take a train or drive to Norway, we would have time to go see the fjords, I think. But I'm not sure the best way to do that. A cruise or drive to Bergen? Something else I haven't thought of?
I'm trying to make the most of our limited time. Thanks for any help.

Posted by
49 posts

I would tend to agree with your husband, but I am biased that way as I lived in Norway for 6 months in 2009 and have recently relocated to Norway with my wife for another 2 years.

I can't say much about Sweden because I have only spent a few days in Stockholm and driven the west coast of Sweden between Oslo and Copenhagen a couple of times (a nice drive). Stockholm is very nice, better than Oslo as a city destination.

I know that there is really nothing in Sweden that can compare to the grandeur and magnificence of the fjords, so I wholeheartedly recommend coming to Norway for that. I would recommend something like the Norway in a Nutshell tour. There are many options, but the basic version takes you from Oslo to Bergen (one way or a round trip including a night train) in just one day. The train ride to Myrdal is nice and relaxing and from there it's all amazing scenery as you head down the Flåmsbana scenic train to the fjord. From there you ferry around to Gudvangen through Nærøyfjord (my favorite) and continue on to Bergen by land. You can add one or more nights along the way and pick up the rest of the tour another day. Or you figure out a way to go back to Oslo from Gudvangen and just skip the rest.

I've done a little kayaking in Nærøyfjord with a company called Nordic Ventures from Voss; I highly recommend that if you're into paddling!

Send me a message if you need more tips!

Geoff

Posted by
49 posts

Forgot to mention this: Oslo is doable in one day. See the Viking ships, frognerparken, and maybe the Munch Museum or Fram, too.

Posted by
12172 posts

I agree on what to see in Oslo. Frogner park and the Viking Ship Museum were stops we enjoyed, you can cover those two in a half day fairly easily, then spend your other half downtown.

In Stockholm, the Vasa was our favorite. Gamlastan (literally old city) is nice for a walk and look around.

The Archipelago is good to see by boat, plan a ferry to anywhere from Stockholm and you will go through.

As far as seeing fjords, you can either do the Norway in a nutshell or take a ferry up the West coast.

Oslo is a long trip from Stockholm, so it's hard to get everything you are talking about into your 7-8 days. Spend two nights in Stockholm, skip the Archipelago, fly to Oslo, spend a day there, then do Norway in a nutshell is probably your best bet.