Please sign in to post.

Hostel Membership

Just curious about hostel memberships.. I am travelling this summer with a friend of mine for 4 weeks. We are both 21. How do they work/how much are they? Thanks!

Posted by
5835 posts

http://www.hiusa.org/membership

THE TYPES AND PRICES OF EACH MEMBERSHIP

YOUTH FREE (for those under 18 years of age)

ADULT $28.00 ANNUALLY (18-54 years of age)

SENIOR $18.00 ANNUALLY (55+ years of age)

It's been a while but my recollection is a membership benefit is lower room prices (or non-members pay an extra). I think that Norwegian hostels offer members a 10% discount.

Norwegian and Finnish hostels offer "private" rooms with shared baths. "Bunk" rooms on a per bed basis are cheaper.

Posted by
1028 posts

A hostel membership is normally for Hostelling International (HI) member hostels, which is the largest chain of hostels. Most European cities have many private hostels that don't require memberships. HI has standards for their facilities, private hostels can set their own. So with HI, you can expect a decent level of repair, cleanliness, etc. Some private hostels are way better, some much worse. I sent my daughter on a "capitals of Central Europe" tour a few years ago, and we chose a mix of HI and private hostels, based on reviews from several sites. All were great. She spent a year in Switzerland, and visited quite a few Swiss hostels, which were all outstandIng, but were all members of the Swiss hostel association, not private. Useful sites for your research are:

HI parent site for Hostelling International
Hostelworld review and booking site for hostels
Hostelz another review and booking site