Please sign in to post.

Hostel good for a solo traveller in Amsterdam

Hi, I'm a 25 years old and will do a long weekend alone in Amsterdam at the end of the summer.

As I will be travelling alone, I am looking for a hostel where I can meet other travellers and cool people to go out later at night (if covid allows pubs to be open). Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

Posted by
556 posts

I have not stayed in either hostel, but both Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark (near me) and Generator Amsterdam look very nice. I have actually looked around Generator. It was once owned by a university. They converted the old lecture hall into a bar.
I would suggest you stay out of the Red Light District.

Posted by
11507 posts

My then 20 yr old daughter stayed at the Flying Pig - she said it was a “ party hostel “ - lots of fun - but a bit noisy due to them having a courtyard where some stayed up all night socializing .

It’s also where her boots were stolen ( only thing stolen on a 11 week backpacking trip through Europe ) - she left them out at night instead of locking them in her locker . Communal bedroom - perhaps if they have a private room it would be best bet

Posted by
13 posts

I spent a week at the StayOkay hostel in Vondelpark whilst attending a conference. It was an easy 25 minute walk from the central station - and a slightly longer walk (40 minutes) to the conference centre.

A lot depends on what you like, and how well you sleep, there were lots of noisy people coming in at two and three in the morning.
There wasn't a lot of choice at breakfast for vegetarians - you have to like cheese! Similarly the range of food in the bar was very limited.

Posted by
13 posts

Don't knock the Red Light district, it's very handy for the train station, and you're at the centre of the city. I stayed at the hotel Luxer, it was as cheap as a hostel. The breakfast was good and the staff were friendly and helpful. They will store your luggage after you check out. There was a kettle and cups, but no tea, coffee or milk, which is often the way in mainland Europe. The shower in my room was quite small, so if you're large it might be a squeeze.

Posted by
3844 posts

I'll agree with danensis. I stayed in a hotel a street over from the red light district (don't remember which). I got a decent rate, central location, and was close to the train station.