Please sign in to post.

American(non student) trying to attain UK visa

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience getting a visa in the UK. I'm 26, American, and do not work somewhere that has intra company transfer. I understand that with a general tier 2 visa, I need a sponsor. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this process? Do I contact the company directly and inquire for sponsorship? There's a salary minimum that worries me as well...

I'm also an artist and was possibly thinking of applying for the tier 5 creative visa, in which I would still need a sponsor. Is an artist residency a possibility? Will that only allow me a month or so? I found a great website that lists all the companies in the UK that are registered sponsors. Still unsure the best way to approach the situation.

I would ideally like to stay in UK, Scotland specifically, for at least 12 months but will take what I can get. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.


Posted by
4527 posts

Tier 5 creative visa requires you to 'make a unique contribution to the UK labour market' and be 'internationally renowned'. Are you?

If you want to work in the UK you need to find an employer that needs you and they give you the sponsorship certificate. You have the best chance if you qualify to do a shortage occupation.

Posted by
25724 posts

The job that you come to work at must have been advertised locally and the company must have found it impossible to find somebody in the UK with the unique skills to fill the post.

They can then look overseas.