Please sign in to post.

Will there be a problem with taxi service in Barcelona on Sept 11th 2014?

Hello everyone
Just read that there is a large celebration in Barcelona on September 11th. We will be staying in Eixample area and will need to get to the cruise port that afternoon. Do you think getting a taxi will be difficult? We are traveling with a couple that will not take public transportation and normally that would be how we would go if we needed to. I am wondering if we should book a private taxi or car just to be sure we aren't stuck schlepping luggage down the Ramblas or something like that. We have never been to Barcelona so not sure what we would be up against. Thanks in advance for any advice

Posted by
9110 posts

It's National Day.

Taxis will be running but historically there's been independence demonstrations as well as the celebrations.

Normal routes might be clobbered. Leave a bit earlier than you'd expect and you'll be fine. Get the hotel to set up the taxi for you the night prior.

Posted by
12172 posts

The taxis will be running but there might be more people using them. I don't think you will have any problem from the airport, I'm not sure about getting to the cruise port. I seem to recall a taxi stand(s), or just lots of standing taxis, along Passeig de Gracia. I rarely take a taxi - so don't pay that much attention.

Posted by
16893 posts

Having your hotel make the reservation the night before has worked for me in most cities.

Posted by
2940 posts

Correction: these are not 'celebrations', we're not celebrating anything!, we're "commemorating" the date in which Catalans lost their liberties.

Anyway, demonstrations on Sept 11th have always been a family thing, not violent outbursts, just for info.

As per traffic, depending where you're going (and at what time) it might be difficult, but note the city is very big so there are always alternatives. There'll be taxis (and the Aerobus) but I can't guarantee they'll be able to take you door to door -as said, depending on the location of your accomodation and the time of the day you're arriving.

Posted by
32747 posts

Remember that Wikipedia is written by ordinary mortals like you and I, and reflects the political agenda of the writer.