Please sign in to post.

What's up in Madrid Oct 21, 2023

My wife and I are visiting for a few weeks and I notice hotels in Madrid are very expensive and booked up on October 21, 2023. Does anyone know why?

Posted by
6534 posts

ESMO Madrid Congress 2023, Fri, Oct 20 – Tue, Oct 24 and
EMBA International Congress, Wed, Oct 25 – Fri, Oct 27

Same thing happened to my wife and I in 2019. The hotel we normally paid about $130 a night was charging $300. The $80 a night hotel we stayed at prior to walking the Camino for 5 days was asking $240 when we passed through after the walk. Nothing you can do about it. If possible consider away from the city center or staying outside of Madrid altogether. Alcalá de Henares is nice for a couple nights. Can you rework which days you’ll be in Madrid?

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you. It is our day flying out, so unavoidable at this point. It is only one night. I found a good place finally but 2x the usual rate.

Posted by
3837 posts

Did you consider staying in Toledo. We paid $145 for 4 adults and luggage to the airport. The train is pretty easy too, but our transfer was door-to-door.

Posted by
3901 posts

Did you consider staying in Toledo. We paid $145 for 4 adults and luggage to the airport. The train is pretty easy too, but our transfer was door-to-door.

Or even the old university town of Alcala de Henares might be another good option to escape the inflation, only about 20 km north of Barajas Airport.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you!

I the future I will check hotel rates before I book plane tickets. We have a 6am departure, so my beauty sleep demands an airport hotel.