Please sign in to post.

Weather

How hot is Barcelona and other cities in Spain in August?

Posted by
6562 posts

Spain is a large country with a variety of climates, so it depends on where you’re going when you say “other cities.” Spain has already had some abnormally high temperatures this year, so I’d track the current temperatures rather than depend on historic information. This week, Barcelona will be in the mid 80s, Madrid will be near 100, and Sevilla will be near 110. A very basic answer to your question is, it will be hot.

Posted by
27138 posts

On the other hand, the stretch of northern Spain between the Basque Country (including San Sebastian and Bilbao) and Galicia (including Santiago de Compostela) is usually much more comfortable--if sometimes rainy--in mid-summer. I'd head either there or to the Pyrenees if I wanted to see part of Spain in August. Barcelona or Valencia would probably be less uncomfortable than Zaragoza, Madrid and points south.

Posted by
1529 posts

Keep in mind.............beaches! Nice to say you have spent a relaxing day, or half day, taking a refreshing dip in the Med. Also consider heat will bake your meat so stay hydrated! Plan on earlier mornings and later evenings and adapt to the locale time culture. While siestas may be less common, do consider stepping out of the mid-day heat to rest and allow the crowds of tourists to trade sweat without your participation. Step inside El Corte Ingles department store to enjoy their air conditioning while strolling thru the aisles. Bathrooms are typically on the top floor and some stores have a full grocery in the basement.

https://www.elcorteingles.com

Posted by
313 posts

An observation about the cities of Spain: not a blade of grass. Yes, trees line boulevards. But when the sun is out it just feels hotter because the shade is so sparse.