Please sign in to post.

Visiting the Alhambra in December

i will arrive Granada at 10 on 21 December and leave for Seville morning of 23 December.

With shorter daylight hours I want to plan my visit to the Alhambra carefully.
Would it be better for me to book an afternoon or evening ticket on the 21st or morning ticket on the 22nd. I've read that visiting at night is beautiful but I can't figure out how much of the site is open then. Is the Palace Narsid open at night?

Will the gardens be worth visiting at this time of year or are will they be dormant over the winter?

Thanks for your advice.

Posted by
15585 posts

I visited the Alhambra in February, so somewhat similar conditions.

The best time to book is a morning ticket with a Nasrid entrance of 11.30 or later. That will allow you to visit the other ticketed areas any time during the day, either before or after the Nasrid.

The evening visit is in addition to the daytime visit. I chose the Nasrid Palaces (rather than the Generalife), went the evening before my daytime visit and was glad I did. The rooms look completely different in the somewhat dim, but quite romantic lighting. There's also a night view of Granada at night.

In February, the gardens were not too attractive, many trees and plants had recently been pruned back and not many flowers, but still nice, just not great. You'll walk through them to get from building to beautiful building anyway.