Please sign in to post.

Valencia and Las Fallas (Fire Festival) March 2016

First, thanks to Brad for suggesting Las Fallas. I'd never heard of it and it fits nicely into my travel plans.

I think 3 nights will be plenty for me with the crowds and the noise (!!). It starts with midnight fireworks on Tuesday, the 16th, so thinking to arrive early on the 16th by train and do a little sightseeing and hopefully see some of the giant dolls. Then leave sometime on Friday, 19th, to head toward Andalusia for Semana Santa, which begins on Sunday, 21st.

Of course hotel prices are at least twice the normal rate and I'm on a budget. I've narrowed my choices to these 3:
I have never been to Valencia, so I'm going by some previous posts and google maps. I've pretty much narrowed my choices down, based on location, reviews and price (trying to keep it down) to:

• Hostal Venecia, Plaza del Ayuntamiento (best price - but it's non-refundable and no view)
  • SH Ingles Boutique Hotel, Marques de Dos Aguas 6
  • Ayre Hotel Astoria Palace, Plaza Rodrigo Botet 5

As far as I can tell, they are all central. I'd prefer quieter.

Thoughts on which hotel? overall plan? advice, suggestions on what not to miss (and what to miss!)

I'm trying to lock down Semana Santa - and now Las Fallas - plans before working out the rest of the trip.

Posted by
35 posts

What not to miss - the City of Arts and Sciences complex by hometown architect Calatrava, the Mercato Central and nearby La Lonja (former silk exchange), and the seafront promenade at the old port with paella at one of the beachside restaurants. Also, it's worth climbing the 200 stairs of the bell tower of the cathedral for a view over the city.

Posted by
4535 posts

Hi Chani

I'm not familiar with any of the hotels and can't comment on those specifically, but all three are in good locations. They are all central and in nice neighborhoods. And everything is very walkable from them.

Visiting the Museum campus designed by Calatrava is well worth it. With plenty of time, you can stroll the old riverbed park to get there. Otherwise, there is a tram or bus that gets you to and from the train station (old one).

The Cathedral is pretty cool looking. The market hall as mentioned. Also the rotunda market plaza (a fabric market now). And really, just strolling the main avenues leading south from the cathedral. That part of Valencia is a bit like Barcelona's Eixample in character without the crowds (well, at normal times at least). Tapas along most anyplace on the main avenues/plazas will be good (we had great tapas at Taberna de la Reina).

If looking for a paella place, I'll need to look up where we ate - it was excellent and not far from the cathedral (but hard to find).