Please sign in to post.

Valencia

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about changing my itinerary for my Spain trip in January and hoped you could offer some insight. I was planning to fly into Madrid, spend 2 nights in Cordoba, 3 in Granada, 3 in Malaga, 3 in Seville, then returning to Madrid for 4 before flying home. The Madrid part is non negotiable.

Now I'm thinking about spending 4 nights in Valencia, 4 in Malaga and 3 in Seville instead. While I don't dislike seeing castle/palaces/cathedrals and museums, that's not generally my thing (for context, my favorite thing about Sintra was hiking to/from Pena Palace and wandering the grounds of Quinta de Regaleira as well as going to the coast and walking for hours). I think I'd rather just wander around, looking at architecture, browsing little shops and enjoying a mix of hustle bustle and quiet time in nature this trip and I'm curious about Valencia. It looks like I could get to Granada from Malaga if I decide to visit for a day, and I could also go to Nerja and/or Frigiliana pretty easily. I plan to hike the Caminito del Rey as well. I can visit Cordoba on my way from Seville to Madrid for a few hours and I'm still trying to figure out a way to see Setenil de las Bodegas from Seville.

It looks like it will take hours to get from Valencia to Malaga, so I'll plan on that being my down day to watch a movie or read a book while on the train. I've started noting various attractions to visit in Valencia, but I haven't been able to find a clear guide (preferably with maps) on public transportation in Valencia. I just know there's a metro and bus system, and it looks like Uber/Bolt is available and it's a walkable city. Does anyone know a website that has a good map/guide I could screenshot? I did that for the metro system in Lisbon and I can't tell you how helpful it's been when I visit. I guess I'm a visual person. :)

Thank you!

Posted by
595 posts

Amanda, that is just what I needed. I'm not sure how I didn't come across that on my own, but thank you so much!

Posted by
987 posts

Valencia is my favorite Spanish city. The arboretum associated with the university is the finest I've seen. And the Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias is magnificent. L'Oceanogràfic (the aquarium section of the Ciudad) is especially fascinating, and tourist dollars for entry go towards the institution's substantial efforts in oceanographic research and habitat protection. Wonderful place.

Posted by
81 posts

Valencia is one of my favorite cities as well. I first visited in 2007 when the city hosted The Americas Cup.

I agree The Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias is magnificent. Located on the old Turia riverbed, which is now a huge urban park. Interesting history behind the park, that was a river. Miles of walking or cycling to enjoy. Of all the cities in Europe we’ve visited we find Valencia one the most walkable. Buses are frequent and readily available throughout the city.

The train from Valencia to Malaga with a change in a Cordoba, takes about 5hrs 10mins.

Posted by
595 posts

I'm glad to hear the positive thoughts about Valencia. It seems the more I read about the city, the more I want to experience it for myself. I think this part of my trip is the part I'm most excited about right now.

Posted by
9 posts

We are planning to be in Valencia for 2 nights in October -- we have friends who spent a day there and loved it! They said the bike share program is wonderful.
I am wondering if anyone knows of an inexpensive (yet lovely) hotel/hostal in Valencia? we have reservations in Madrid and Barcelona, both at hostals found in Rick Steves' Best of Spain, but it does not include Valencia. Any recommendations are wrlcomed!

Posted by
4656 posts

I spent several days in Valencia not even making it to the coastal part. It does seem to be a city of 2 parts.
It's pretty flat, so hiking may not be nearby, but not too far away is Albufera national park for some shoreline walks, of along the inland lake.