Please sign in to post.

Uber

We are traveling to Spain soon. Has anyone had experience using UBER in Madrid and Malaga ? If so....
what is the going rate between Madrid airport and say Plaza del Sol?

Did you have a good experience?

Posted by
2942 posts

Regardless what I or anyone else thinks about Uber and similar services, note that taxis in Madrid -much like in Barcelona- are quite decent both in prices as well as in service. Just saying because some foreign friends of mine desperately seek out Uber-like services wherever they travel because in their home countries the regular taxi services are awful. Well, that's not quite the case here.

In your particular case, a regular taxi from the airport to Plaza del Sol will cost you 30€ (flat fee). It's the only fare (airport-centre and vice versa) that has a flat fee, everything else is metered. Also note that you have other options, cosy enough and far cheaper:

PS: Just in case you're not familiar... public transportation is, in Madrid, the most used form of transportation for almost everybody: it's cheap, clean, safe and efficient.

Posted by
11294 posts

To add to Enric's post, there's no need to tip taxis in Spain. I took a taxi from Madrid airport to the center, and it worked great for €30 - well worth it if you're jet lagged or have a few people.

I also agree that taxis in Spain are fine; I've taken them in various cities and never had a problem with them using the meter and charging me a fair rate. There are legitimate extra charges, such as for putting things in the trunk, but these will be posted in the cab.

Posted by
2942 posts

Ah yes, thanks Harold for pointing out...tipping. It's indeed not necessary nor will the driver frown upon you if you don't. What we locals normally do is to round up to the nearest euro.

Posted by
53 posts

Thanks for information from you all. A question for Harold...you mentioned "extra charges" like things put in trunk. Does that mean there would be an extra charge for putting my small suitcases in the trunk?

Posted by
32756 posts

Yes, there are charges for that. Lower than you would have tipped.

Edit: check the table below for the minimum size charged for.

Posted by
11294 posts

Yes, it's just one of those cultural differences. Taxis in many places in Europe charge per bag put in the trunk. They also often charge extra for picking up at the airport or train station, for a dog, for more than three passengers, etc. But as I said, such charges are listed on a sign in the cab; it's not a scam.