Please sign in to post.

Two Weeks in Spain

Hi
Planning 14-16 days in Spain for first time next year. 4 adults no kids. YAY! Plan is Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Ibiza, back to Madrid for departure. Is this too much? Will be renting a car for at least a portion of it, otherwise train and ferry.

Also what are the best beaches to hit up in this itinerary?

Thanks!

Posted by
6597 posts

My opinion only, but if you’ve never been to any of those places then I feel it’s too much. The entire coast from Barcelona to Valencia is non-stop beaches, so take your pick. Personally, I don’t visit Spain to hang out on the beach. I can do that at home.

The time of year will make a difference. Hotels are more expensive during the main tourist season and traffic on those coastal roads and in those towns is a pain. Once the tourist season ends, many of the hotels and restaurants in those tourist-centric towns close leaving a reduced selection to choose from.

Posted by
25 posts

If you come from the United States I would skip Ibiza because you waste a lot of time coming and going. And I would add Córdoba, Seville and Granada. You will love it.
And you have time to enjoy in 14/15 days

Posted by
27196 posts

For a trip to Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia and Ibiza, I see no value in a car whatsoever. There are very fast trains between those three cities. I wouldn't be interested in driving from Barcelona to Madrid (estimated at 6 hr. 31 min. driving time on ViaMichelin.com) when the train could get me there in as little as 2 hr. 30 min. In addition, you can pack a lunch and eat it on the train. The most often mentioned side trips from Barcelona and Madrid are also easy by public transportation.

You didn't say what time of year you plan to take the trip, but your mention of "beaches" suggests you may be thinking of summer. Although I really like Andalucia (Seville, Cordoba and Granada), I wouldn't go there in the summer. At that time of year it's possible to have a week of 100+F days. Even Madrid can be very hot in the summer, and Barcelona can be humid. In any case, even if you left out Ibiza (big-time party island--is that what you're looking for?), Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Seville, Cordoba and Granada would be an awful lot of ground to cover in 14-16 days.

Posted by
5284 posts

I agree, skip Ibiza.

Why? Surely it depends on the reasons why the OP wants to visit Ibiza. Perhaps they're really into clubbing in which case it would make perfect sense however they've not elaborated on the reasons for their choices or even when they plan on going so it's difficult to provide half decent advice.

Posted by
163 posts

As it would probably be prudent to offer advice on the lesser of your two time estimates -- 14 days -- I should probably ask whether they include the day you fly in, and the day you fly out; which would leave you with only 12 full (non-flight) days in Spain. In that case I think your four specified destination will be sufficient. I'm sure you could a squeeze in more, but I wouldn't do so myself.
Also, I agree with "acraven"; Spain has a great train system, and I would never drive anywhere in Spain that I could reach by train.
As for Ibiza: Though I've made several trips to Spain, I've never been to Ibiza, and probably never will be, so I can't give you good advice. But I know what Ibiza is; and as you have acknowledged that you and your companions are adults, I would just recommend that you listen seriously to those advising you against it.