Please sign in to post.

Trip to Spain

I am booked to go to Spain in the spring and will be flying into Madrid and out of Barcelona. From Madrid will be be heading to Seville, Cordoba and Granada before moving on to Barcelona and flying home. Is it better to go to Granada first then Seville or Seville first then Granada heading to Barcelona. And to get to Barcelona, is it better to a flight or take the train? Also, I have my hotels booked in Madrid and Barcelona but wondering if there are any suggestions for hotels in Seville and Granada, 3 or 4 star but definitely city centre since we will not have a car.

Posted by
23301 posts

The Steves' guidebook for Spain has good hotel recommendation for those cities. Go an easy loop. Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, Granada and back to Barcelona. Train works well. I think there is a disruption between Seville and Granada where the tracks are being rebuilt and you have to bus around but it is handled easily. The tickets for the Alhambra must be purchased as soon as possible since those do sell out.

Posted by
1297 posts

Earlier this year we spent a week in Sevilla at Hotel Inglaterra. It's a good hotel, in a convenient location. But it's more "international/business" than "quaint" if that's your preference. In Granada, I highly recommend Hotel Posada del Toro. It's an historical building, excellent location. Both hotels now have kettles in the rooms.

As for route, I don't think it matters too much. Madrid to Seville or Cordoba has more fast trains per day compared to Granada, and the journey to either is a little quicker and the fare should be cheaper. So perhaps that's the way. But the differences are marginal and both Sevilla and Granada local airports have flights to Barcelona.

Perhaps Madrid - Seville -Cordoba -Granada, since there's a fast direct train from Cordoba to Granada. But you could slot Cordoba between any of the combinations.

Posted by
7688 posts

You will need more than two weeks to do all this.

Consider going Madrid, Seville, Cordoba then Granada (take a flight to Barcelona).
While in Madrid don't miss taking a day trip to Toledo. Segovia is nice as well.

Spend at least three nights in Seville.

Posted by
15593 posts

I love the Amadeus Hotel in Sevilla. Very comfortable, great staff and location, unique decor.

Check train schedules for Granada-Barcelona. While there is finally train service again, I'm not sure it is preferable to flying.