Please sign in to post.

Trip to Rota, Jerez, Seville end of March 2017 - Need help with Itinerary

Hi all -

Our family of four, Mom, Dad, 11 & 13 yr old girls will be flying in to and out of Rota at the end of March. We will be on the ground in Spain for 8 days.

Thinking of the following itinerary but looking for specific places / ideas to entertain both parents and kids. Kids are studying Latin and Roman history/literature and are interested in horses and dancing.. so flamenco and dancing horses are must-sees :) Not big museum fans yet, but they do enjoy hands-on exhibits.

Day 1 -2 Arrive in Rota and taxi to El Puerto de Santa Maria, assuming arrival in morning, tour afternoon/evening, overnight at hotel, tour next day
Day 3-4 Train El Puerto to Seville, overnight 2 nights in Seville
Day 5-6 Train to Jerez de la Frontera, 2 nights
Day 7-8 ?? back to Rota or El Puerto or nearby to catch plane on Day 9

Thanks all!

Posted by
6618 posts

I have to assume you're flying into the Naval Base otherwise you'd be flying into Jerez. The Duque de Najera is a very nice hotel in Rota. From Rota you can take a ferry to Cadiz to spend the day. Believe you can pick it up in Puerto too. If not, I know there is a bus over to Cadiz from Puerto. When I was last in Puerto in 2011, it seemed to be the victim of Spain's economic situation. There were a lot of people just hanging out and the streets were dirty with trash, not just dirt; nothing like it was when I was stationed in Rota in the late 1970s. Things to see are the bull ring, the castle (although it most likely won't be open), and the cathedral. Not much else to see there. It is closer to Jerez where there is also a castle, the equestrian center, and of course the bodegas. Other than that I don't feel Jerez is anything special. Personally, I feel one full day is sufficient for each Rota, Puerto, and Jerez, and you itinerary allows for a relaxed visit. If you get there and find out you have more time than you thought, take a day trip to Sevilla (one hour away), or rent a car and drive to Arcos de la Frontera.

Posted by
2 posts

Yes, we will in fact be flying into the Navy base. Thanks for your information. We do plan on spending a few days in Seville.