Please sign in to post.

Trip report: Spain and COVID, January 2022

Wanted to share our experiences in Dec 2021 -January 2022 - hope this helps.

We drove from Portugal to Spain and there was no checkpoint to confirm vaccination status or recent COVID test (this may seem like a silly thing to say for those of you who have crossed borders since the EU was formed but I can still remember the hassles of crossing the borders in the old days).

None of our Airbnb's required our vaccination cards.
None of the museums, churches, restaurants (we only ordered food to-go), or stores required our vaccination cards.

Mask wearing compliance was very high - everyone wore them indoors (except for restaurants) and most people wore them outside also. Big cities had better compliance than small towns. All of our guides were very good about wearing masks and requiring attendees wear masks.

Lufthansa on the flight home required a N95 or KN95 mask.

Posted by
16 posts

PS We use the Binax Ag test in Spain and had no issues at all. We were concerned since we read many complaints about the Navica app but everything worked fine for us. We download the app ahead of time and stayed up late to test one day ahead of our flight (12:01 am test time). The call reps were kind and helpful. The entire process only took ~25 mins and then we had a lab report emailed to us + the QR code and results in the Navica app. Lufthansa wanted the lab report for check-in but we did not know that until the day we departed.

Posted by
7834 posts

We drove from Portugal to Spain and there was no checkpoint to confirm vaccination status or recent COVID test

this summer 2021 there checks to contain Covid between Italy and France where the border police entered the bus and collected all the passports

Posted by
22 posts

This is very helpful, we leave on March 11th. So just to clarify, you use the Binax at home test (I'm assuming they are monitor through a telehealth appointment) and Lufthansa accepted that? There are 5 in our group and an telehealth monitored at home test would be the easiest for us but I also don't want to be denied boarding to come home.

Posted by
16 posts

Yes, we did the online telemedicine testing that is used to interpret the Binax Ag Test (Abbott has different kinds of tests but the Ag test is the one approved by the FDA for international testing). They monitor all of your actions (your video is on but you don't see them). You need to download the Navica app beforehand (link below) and you cannot open the box until they tell you to. The bundle we bought was 6 tests for $150 - expensive but I wanted extra tests in case one of them did not work or we had to retest - hope that helps.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diagnostics-testing/abbotts-new-NAVICA-app-what-you-need-to-know.html

Posted by
695 posts

None of the museums, churches, restaurants (we only ordered food to-go), or stores required our vaccination cards.

We were in Spain the last week of December and first week of January. We did have several restaurants and stores ask for proof of vaccination before entering, mainly in Cordoba and Granada, and I think a store or two in Cadiz. They preferred to see the QR code that was generated from our Spain travel health form (required on entry to Spain via air) rather than our CDC cards. We had our QR codes stored on our phones, and it was a very easy process to scan and enter.

Posted by
548 posts

None of the museums, churches, restaurants (we only ordered food
to-go), or stores required our vaccination cards.

We were in Spain the last week of December and first week of January.
We did have several restaurants and stores ask for proof of
vaccination before entering, mainly in Cordoba and Granada, and I
think a store or two in Cadiz.

Restrictions aren't uniform throughout Spain because much like with differing rules between US states, individual autonomous communities have the ability to set their own restrictions. For example, I am currently in Spain and have been in Barcelona and Madrid -- in Catalonia, restaurants and bars are supposed to ask for a COVID pass, and from late December to now there has been a 1am-6am curfew; whereas in the Comunidad de Madrid there is neither a COVID pass requirement nor a curfew.

Of course, whether or not places actually adhere to the rules is a different story (I got asked most times when I wanted to eat inside in Barcelona but not always), and with the falling rate restrictions may be lifting, but any potential traveler has to keep in mind rules are not uniform across Spanish territory.

Posted by
16 posts

Good point, Andrew, the rules may change for each region. We were in Granada, Sevilla, Toledo, Madrid + small towns in-between. We did eat outside a couple of times, in Granada, Sevilla, and Madrid - and again, no one asked us for proof of vaccination but as others have mentioned, they were in those same towns and were asked to show their cards.

Posted by
470 posts

The lack of border controls is because both Spain and Portugal are in the Schengen Zone and not because they in the EU