Please sign in to post.

Traveling from Barcelona (and beyond) to Sevilla by train beginning on New Year’s Day 2020

After 4 nights in Barcelona we hope to train to Sevilla on the 1st of January 2020. Not sure if the trains will be running that day. Tried Renfe.com to learn we are attempting book too early (before the 62 days in advance window). How can we find out if trains will be running on the 1st day of the year?
Of course, we are thinking we can’t secure lodging arrangements until we are certain of being able to get to Sevilla on that day.
And after 3 nights in Sevilla, we plan to train to Granada for a 2 nights stay, then traveling on to Madrid for 3 nights (perhaps including a day trip to Toledo) before our flight home.
Thank you for any relevant information you have to offer.

Posted by
7837 posts

The trains are running New Years Day limited schedule; I was in Spain in Seville to be exact last New Years Day and took the train from there to Cadiz and back on a day trip.

You could search https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml to get an idea of what the schedule will be like. RENFE lately has not been posting the tickets for sale and schedules at a set time.

All you can do is keep checking everyday until they do. I am looking to buy a ticket Barcelona to Zaragoza January 6 2020.
There is also the option of flying to Seville from Barcelona on January 1 2020, if you want to lock that down now, there are 7 direct flights to Seville. The airfare is cheaper than what the train is going to cost

Posted by
23267 posts

A couple of years ago we spent New Years in Seville. The place started shutting down around noon on NY eve. Opposite of what you find in the US. Nothing was open on New Years day except for a few restaurants located in hotels and they were jammed. So buy some picnic style food the day before for your trip. Also you will need to get a bag of twelve grapes so you can participate by ringing in the New Year in the town plaza.

Trains will be running on a limited schedule. You might look at a Sunday schedule to see what may be available.

The train service to Granada has been disrupted for the past couple of years while new track is being laid.

Posted by
27111 posts

The AVE line to Granada opened earlier this year, but to date there have not been very many trains offered each day.

Posted by
752 posts

Seconding jazz’s suggestion...On January 1, Vueling, Ryanair and Iberia all have direct flights Barcelona-Seville (approximately one and a half hours). They still have some good fares available, but you may want to book soon.

Posted by
255 posts

I saw multiple flights on line. When I checked reviews of Iberia, many customers were frustrated and angry about the poor service, baggage charges, lack of comfort and dysfunctional communication system. My daughter has flown Ryan Air and experienced similar problems. We will persevere to find train or bus transport.

Posted by
7837 posts

Yeah but all airlines even the one you are flying to get to Europe have bad reviews communication problems lost baggage....
We've taken Vueling a couple of times short flights nothing to it.

Posted by
255 posts

Thank you for the flight options and reassurance. We will keep that option in mind.