Please sign in to post.

Travel to Spain 2021: What you need to know

Here's a helpful English language article, published today (June 4) that hopefully can dispel some of the confusion around Spain's tourism reopening - https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/travelling-to-spain-for-summer-2021-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

Some highlights from the article:

To anyone dreaming of endless summers of the Costa del Sol, late-night buzz of the ancient towns and cities, fresh dishes, or wandering in the streets of Barcelona, Madrid, Granada, and Seville, it might soon be a reality as Spain will welcome vaccinated tourists from June 7.

Spain has also abolished the restrictions on non-essential travel from the UK and Japan on May 24. Such a decision means that travellers from the two countries are no longer required to present a COVID-19 test or undergo self-isolation when entering Spain.

Additionally, the Spanish authorities have announced that the country plans to allow arrivals from the United States and other third countries from June 7, provided that the travellers have been vaccinated with one of the vaccines approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

Travellers falling under this category should prove that they have received the required vaccine dose(s) at least 14 days before entering Spain. Nonetheless, everyone will still be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test result upon entry.

Similarly, all persons crossing the land border between Spain and France are obliged to present a negative COVID-19 test.

All travellers entering Spain must fill in a Health Control Form, which can be completed and signed in electronic form. After completing the form, a QR code will be generated, which then should be shown to the health authorities upon arrival in Spain.

If justified, the form can also be present in paper format. Everyone should note that a separate form should be filled for each trip and each person.

In line with the European Center for Disease Control guidelines, travellers arriving in Spain from high-risk countries for essential purposes must present a negative COVID-19 test result carried out within 72 hours prior to their arrival. The documentation proving that a person has no symptoms of the virus may be requested at any time while in Spain.

The negative test result document should include information of the holder’s name, their passport or identity card number, the date when the test was carried out, the issuing body, and the type of test. The test is recognised in four different languages, Spanish, English, French, or German.

As soon as travellers enter Spain, they are subject to health assessments such as temperature checks and visual examinations.

In addition, in order to be able to check into their accommodation, all persons travelling to the Canary Islands will be required to present a negative test taken within 72 hours of departure, regardless of their country of origin.

Exempt from the testing requirement are children under the age of six, people transporting goods or passengers, cross-border workers, and residents who live within a radius of 30 kilometres from the border with Spain.

Hope this helps 😃

Posted by
3897 posts

More from the article:

Museums, exhibitions, monuments, and other cultural spaces have already opened for visitors. Still, due to the COVID-19 situation, many of these spaces have reduced their capacity as well as have prioritised remote purchasing of tickets.

The Prado Museum reopened to the public back in June 2020 and encouraged all visitors to book their tickets at least 24 hours before their visit. The Royal Palace of Madrid and Alcázar Seville are also open for tourists.

The number of visitors allowed at one time has been reduced, and everyone is obliged to wear a mask.

During their stay in Spain, visitors will also be able to attend small concerts and theatre performances in a generally limited capacity.

Restaurants and bars are also open. They have adapted their services in line with the measures set by the authorities, such as separating tables, limiting the use of the bar area, limiting the number of people per table, and so on, in order to guarantee public safety.

Posted by
2822 posts

Great news and an outstanding summary. Thanks Carlos.

Posted by
1883 posts

Interesting as I just communicated with a friend today who lives south of Barcelona that the government announced no tourists until July 1. Seems to be conflicting information? His town/area is doing well, but he said Madrid is not, Covid not under control there and surrounding region.

Posted by
5581 posts

Thanks for the great summary. Hopefully, the COVID test requirement will be dropped prior to my trip. The summary doesn't say, but I'm assuming the COVID test must be done within 72 hours of entry? So, if I get a COVID test to get into France and then 10 days later want to get into Spain, I'm assuming that I'd need a newer test. And then I'd need another test to get back into France and another to get home.

Posted by
548 posts

It's worth noting that Timatic (the system that airlines use to assess passenger validity to board international flights) has been updated for Spain:

Published 04.06.2021 [i.e. today, for my fellow Americans 😉 ]

1. Until 30 June 2021, passengers are not allowed to enter.

This does not apply to:

[...]

-- effective 7 June 2021, passengers with a COVID-19 vaccination certificate stating that they were fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen, Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech, Serum Institute of India, Sinopharm or Sinovac at least 14 days before arrival. They must be arriving from a country other than Brazil;

(Yes, it's a bit confusing -- basically it's stated as a "No one can enter except" followed by a list of exceptions, including EU citizen/residents, diplomats, partners of Spanish nationals, etc., and also now vaccinated travelers as of June 7.)

Posted by
3897 posts

@Jules - I think your trip logistics will be much more simplified in the coming months, as you will probably just be able to use the EU's new Digital Green Pass starting July, for intra EU travel. I believe it will be available for both EU and non-EU travelers,

Posted by
5581 posts

OK, so the FB page says nothing about vaccinated individuals needing a COVID test, correct?

Posted by
9 posts

Our oldest sons just arrived in Spain today from France. They had to have negative COVID tests to get in.

Posted by
27 posts

I have two children, ages 6 and 8, who will need to be tested (since they cannot get vaccines yet). I assume they need the 72 hour test before departure?

Also, how are connecting airports (we are LAX-Zurich) dealing with connections?

Posted by
3897 posts

June 7, 2021 - Spain reopens to international vaccinated tourists today!

The Spanish government has published the new requisites for travellers arriving in the country from outside the European Union and countries associated with the Schengen free-travel area. As was expected, the text released in the Official State Gazette (BOE) on Saturday states that from today, passengers from risk zones will be permitted to enter Spain if they have been administered the full doses of a Covid-19 vaccine approved by either the World Health Organization (WHO) or the European Medicines Agency (EMA), more than 14 days prior to arrival.

No proof of vaccination, recovery or diagnostic test will be required from tourists from low-risk zones, said the government in a release, although everyone will still have to fill out the travel form available on Spain Travel Health (SpTH). Once the European Union’s Digital Covid pass goes into effect on July 1, this will also enable travelers to prove their immunity to the coronavirus if they are required to.

“At ports and airports there will be two control points. Whoever comes from countries or zones not included on the list of risk zones will have access to a quick control with the QR code obtained from SpTH. And once the EU Digital Covid certificate goes into effect, whoever has this document will also have access to this quick control,” says the government statement.

According to the BOE, minors will also be permitted to enter Spanish territory when accompanying people who have been fully vaccinated. Travelers who until now were permitted to enter on presentation of a negative coronavirus test can now opt for a cheaper antigen test rather than the more expensive PCR.

The fact that non-EU travelers can now return to Spain after a prohibition of more than a year is good news for the country’s key tourism sector. But an even better development is the switch to antigen tests from PCR tests. The sector has long been lobbying for this change given that they are cheaper and offer almost instantaneous results. Citizens from any country where a coronavirus test is required before entry into Spain may now opt for an antigen test during the 48 hours prior to arrival.

The BOE also includes details for students. If they are studying in EU member states or associated Schengen states, “and they have the corresponding permission or visa for a long-term stay, provided that they are traveling to the country where they are going to study, and that they enter once the academic term has begun or 15 days previously,” they are allowed to enter. “If the destination is Spain and the duration of the stay is up to 90 days, they must accredit that their studies will take place in an authorized academic center in Spain,” the text continues.

Source: https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-06-07/spain-reopens-to-global-tourists-provided-they-can-prove-they-have-been-vaccinated-against-covid-19.html

Official requirements: https://travelsafe.spain.info/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/NUEVOS_REQUISITOS_DE_ENTRADA_EN_ESPANA_A_PARTIR_DEL_7_DE-JUNIO_eng.pdf

Posted by
5581 posts

Anyone know how much the Antigen tests are running in price in Europe? More specifically France and Spain? They are $99 at the Minneapolis airport, which I think is still pricey. If we go to Spain from France that would amount to 4 additional tests. Just trying to get a sense of what the additional costs might be.

Posted by
7 posts

Check eMed's at-home antigen test (CDC approved). You can 6 kits for $150+shipping.

Posted by
374 posts

The eMed website mentions it requires a nasal swab but is it the long 10 foot one I keep seeing on tv?

Posted by
3897 posts

Obligatory use in Spain of masks outdoors will end on June 26

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez announced today that masks would no longer have to be worn outdoors in the country from Saturday June 26 onward. The move comes at a time when other European countries such as France and Germany are also relaxing the rules on the use of face masks. What’s more, the vacation season will be getting into full swing in Spain at the start of July. Tourists visiting the country and residents alike will now not have to wear the coverings while outdoors and enjoying their holidays.

source: https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-06-18/obligatory-use-in-spain-of-masks-outdoors-will-end-on-june-26-says-prime-minister-pedro-sanchez.html

Posted by
612 posts

Jules: I just saw posted by Kim today under the France heading, "France Moves U.S.** to "GREEN" List - No more PCR required if you are vaccinated! ..." So you should need only proof of vaccination if you're entering France from Spain or from the US. What a relief!

Posted by
5581 posts

@Kay Yes! Though at this point, I'm cautiously optimistic!

Posted by
29 posts

Thank you, and keep the info coming!
I have downloaded the SpTH app, which tells me that I can complete my form two days before departure.
I’m flying to MAD on 31 Jul for a three week trip.
Last year due to DNA testing I learned that I have five biological half siblings - 4 were born in Spain, 3 live there still. I’m finally going to meet at least 3 (and possibly the 4th) face to face for the first time ❤️ and will be driving all over Spain.

Posted by
2940 posts

Since many of the regional governments in Spain have jurisdiction over certain matters, say Health, for example, there are some differences between different regions on the measures applied within each territory. Thus, despite the basics might be similar, you probably want to familiarize yourself with the differences to adjust your expectations when you visit.

In the case of Catalonia, this is the official channel of the Health Department of the Catalan Government where this and other useful info is regularly posted in easy to read clear summaries: https://canalsalut.gencat.cat/ca/salut-a-z/c/coronavirus-2019-ncov/ciutadania/mesures/21-juny/ and for Madrid: https://www.comunidad.madrid/servicios/salud/coronavirus I am sorry but I haven't been able to find sources for other popular destinations like Andalucia that clearly summarize the new rules, the info must be buried somewhere within their Health Dept websites (For Andalucia: https://www.sspa.juntadeandalucia.es/servicioandaluzdesalud/)

Note this refers to measures "within" the territories -say the opening of businesses, maximum capacities, rules for wearing the masks, social distances, etc. Requirements for foreign visitors to "enter" the territories are -to my knowledge- harmonized across Spain. Having said that it's worth double-checking it because some regional gov's are pushing for stronger requirements for visitors coming from certain zones. For example, the Balearic Islands -a popular tourist destination for British and German visitors- is asking the Spanish government to increase the requirements for British visitors given the latest alarming increase in the numbers of COVID contagions in the UK.

PS: For those visiting my home city, the City Hall has a great up-to-date site for these matters: https://www.barcelona.cat/covid19/en/measures-combat-covid-19-barcelona

Posted by
1 posts

Apologize as this is my first posting and perhaps I am reading too much into the SpTh app, but I am in the midst of filling it out for the first time and I've come upon the question "Please indicate the country of departure of your trip"?. I am flying from the U.S. and transferring in Paris en route to Barcelona. I originally just thought, well, it's obvious...I'm departing from France. But my "trip" actually begins in the U.S. After a little research, I discovered that quite often the country of origin means the country of departure. But this research had nothing to do with this app and FAQs about this app do not address this issue. Given the dire warning that I can' t change my answer once I proceed to the next page, I just want to be sure. So, does anyone know from their actual experience what to put as my country of departure? Thank you in advance.

Posted by
3897 posts

As the number of infections continue to rise in Spain and more restrictions are reimposed, I thought a region by region breakdown of where things currently stand will be helpful to those planning a visit Spain in the coming weeks:

Galicia
The regional government in Galicia has decided that from Saturday, a vaccination certificate or negative coronavirus test will be needed to enter indoor spaces of bars and cafeterías in 36 municipalities, including Vigo, Ourense, Pontevedra, O Grove and Sanxenxo. This requirement, which has also been introduced in France and Greece, was already being applied in nightlife venues across the region.

Regional authorities have also closed nightlife venues in municipalities with a high level of coronavirus infection – a measure that affects 35% of the Galician population, nearly a million people. Galicia has not reported a single Covid-19 death for the second day in a row.

Catalonia
A nighttime curfew will be enforced tomorrow from midnight in 165 municipalities, up from 161, following authorization from the regional High Court. The restriction will be in place until July 30, but the regional government has already announced this date will likely be extended.

The Catalan government spokesperson, Patrícia Plaja, warned residents of the region on Thursday that Covid-19 restrictions would be in place for the whole of the summer, given the forecast that pressure on hospitals is likely to continue to increase in the coming weeks. “We are far from being able to relax,” she said.

Plaja said that the curfew would be reviewed “from week to week” to avoid “normalizing” a restriction that “violates fundamental rights.” For the last two weeks, all non-essential activity in Catalonia has had to end at 3am, social meetings are limited to 10 people, and the use of masks is recommended at all times.

There are nearly 2,000 Covid-19 patients in Catalan hospitals at the moment, with a further 440 in intensive care units. Another 7,500 infections were confirmed in the previous 24 hours, although this daily figure is starting to fall slightly. Seventeen Covid-19 fatalities were also reported in the last day.

Balearic Islands
The regional High Court in the Balearic Islands has authorized a ban on social meetings between people from different households in public and private from 1 to 6am. This will apply to the islands of Mallorca, Ibiza and Menorca. There is a similar ban for Formentera from 2 to 6am. The restriction has been approved for one month.

Valencia region
The regional High Court in Valencia has agreed to extend a 1am-6am curfew to 77 municipalities, up from 32 (see bottom box for the full list). A total of 2.6 million people will now be subject to the measure, more than half of the population of the region.

The regional government is also capping social meetings at10 people, both indoors and outdoors. Capacity at large events is limited to 50%, with a maximum of 1,500 people.

Madrid
The more infectious delta variant of the coronavirus, which was first detected in India, now accounts for more than 88% of infections in the Madrid region, said health chief Enrique Ruiz Escudero. Infections are still rising in Madrid, with 4,094 reported on Wednesday for the previous 24 hours. Pressure on the region’s hospitals is also on the rise.

The 14-day cumulative incidence in Madrid has risen to an average of 485.3 cases per 100,000, but some northwest municipalities have much higher figures: Pozuelo de Alarcón (772.1), Boadilla del Monte (735) and Majadahonda (645.8).

Murcia
The regional High Court has backed the Murcia government’s decision to set a 10-person limit on social gatherings between people from different households. The measure will be in place until August 3, unless authorities decide to modify or cancel it before that date.

(continued)

Posted by
3897 posts

Andalucia
The southern region will next week begin vaccinating young people between the ages of 16 and 20, said Andalusian premier Juan Manuel Moreno. Around 75% of over-16s in the region have received one dose of a vaccine, while 65% have been fully vaccinated.

Aragón
The regional government will ask the courts for permission to limit mobility between 1am and 6am in the cities of Huesca, Jaca, Monzón and Barbastro.

Cantabria
The northern region will ask the courts for permission to extend the 1am-6am curfew currently affecting 53 municipalities for a further 14 days “if the data do not improve.” The curfew went into effect on July 17 and was initially set to end on July 30, but regional health authorities said the government of Cantabria will have to seek an extension.

source: https://english.elpais.com/spain/2021-07-22/covid-19-restrictions-extended-in-parts-of-spain-as-cases-keep-rising.html

Posted by
985 posts

I am 38 if that matters). I had the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. I have the card the pharmacist filled out. The first time I planned my trip to Spain i was going to go in october 2020. As of now my trip is in October 2021. As of now for me in Michigan the pandemic is over, or at least the hyper-fearful part is over, because I am in average to good health, my immune system probably works ok, and I got I got a vaccine. The pandemic ended in Michigan for vaccinated people who are in ok health and who aren't hyper-fearful, the day Michigan canceled the mask mandate in retail stores and the conservatory on Belle Isle re-opened. As I have mentioned in other places, my mother becomes mortified and worse when I tell her I am traveling somewhere, she thinks thinks I am not smart enough to understand how unsafe solo travel is and now she just has another reason I am should not travel again. I didn't tell her about my upcoming trip. I do live on my own and I try to operate with with minimal imput from my parents, but for irrational psychological reasons I still feel like an ornery, disobedient kid wandering away from home, when I travel.

Am I supposed to be smart enough to understand that my upcoming trip will not happen, or are the hoops travelers have to go through just trivial burecratic virtual signaling and slowdowns that I don't have to worry about?

I am not going to waste time runing around Seville any time before I arrive at the airport for my flights back to Detroit, looking for a polymerase chain reaction test or other virus test. I can't imagine the authorities would make travelers go through such a weird disruption. The staff at the airport will have to take care of whatever they need to take care of, right?

Edit: I bought train tickets within the last week. Did I waste my money?

Posted by
27095 posts

No. The US currently requires a negative test. If that doesn't change, you won't be allowed to board the flight home if you haven't been tested recently enough and gotten a negative result. There may or may not be tests available at the Seville airport. It's not something I'd rely on. What if there was a long wait? What if you tested positive and needed to take a more accurate, but slower test? Do you really want to risk having to buy a last-minute one-way ticket home after your flight departs without you?

Some vaccinated people are getting infected. The vast majority don't get sick, but a few end up in the hospital and a very few have died. If you're going to travel, you really need to pay attention to current information, which I believe is showing that the J&J vaccine is not as protective against the Delta variant as Pfizer and Moderna are. That doesn't mean you should necessarily cancel, but you need to be operating with more facts than you appear to have.

Posted by
985 posts

How can there not be tests at the airport? And how do they expect travelers to know what to do? How would I even find the address of a place to get a test? It is too nuts to be true that there can be such a thing as no test available at the airport if that is what they require.

But can you answer yes or no about whether you think i am supposed to be smart enough to know that I "should not" take my trip?

Posted by
985 posts

Am I supposed to actually make an appointment for a coronavirus-2019 test now? And then take a taxi to the airport (or somewhere else in Seville) a day or more before I leave? Isn't that a bizarre use of time? How was I supposed to know this?

Edit: But how can you not see how bizarre this is?!: it gets worse: there appears to be such a thing as booking a test at the airport in Seville. Then there actually appears to be a choice of 3 possible tests: PCR, Rapid Test Antigen, and Rapid Test Antibody. I am a lay person! Now how in the universe do they expect me, as a lay person, to know which test to pick?? And if it doesn't matter, why don't they just pick for you without telling you which one they pick?

Posted by
4071 posts

Mike L, you don’t have to make an appointment now, but you will need a test before returning to the U.S., if rules stay the same. But they may change. It IS up to you to stay up with requirements - and the forum is helping you to do that. And yes, a test will take some time away from sightseeing, but it’s just a fact of life in 2021. Unless it changes.

The good thing is that everyone is required to have one and many European countries are really good about having tests available. So just do a little research the week before you leave and you will be fine. TripAdvisor has good info on questions like this. You can also take self test packets with you and do it yourself if you have WiFi and a smart phone.

This has nothing to do with being smart enough to decide to cancel a trip. It does have to do with staying on top of information (and you are good at that) and with deciding your own tolerance for risk.

Edit: either the PCR or the Antigen are acceptable. The antibody is not.

Posted by
5581 posts

I really appreciate the time and effort forum contributors have made in the very thorough details provided in this thread. I think it is important to note that the COVID test when leaving Spain to come back to the U.S. is a U.S. requirement NOT a requirement of the Spanish government. Hence while it is prudent for the Spanish to facilitate the needs of U.S. travelers, it is not really their responsibility.

Posted by
985 posts

I bought train tickets. My trip is in October. Do you think I lost my money on the train tickets if the governments block American tourists from entering Spain? I am not rich. I really can't afford to just throw money away. Suppose I send e-mail to RENEE and ALSA?

Posted by
5581 posts

Mike, go to the RENFRE website and check. I purchased tickets from SNCF. I know their tickets were fully refundable until about August 31. My travel is after that, but I recall in the terms I could get a refund up until 3 days before travel. Further, it’s conceivable that in these times, a polite request for refund on non refundable tickets, given COVID might be considered

Posted by
161 posts

Hi everyone. Can anyone offer an answer to the following:

What are the rules regarding if someone on your flight into Spain tests positive? Will the health authorities contact you and ask you to self-isolate?

Posted by
985 posts

Which of these is most true:

I don't really have to worry about or care about or plan for a coronavirus-2019 test on my flights back to the USA. The staff at the airport in Seville, and/or the staff of American Airlines, in Madrid, will take care of whatever they need to do.

OR

I actually have to schedule a test, in advance, to be taken somewhere in Seville or at the airport in Seville, I have to spend the money and half a day instead of seeing some sights or museum, going to some place to get the test, hoping the test doesn't wrongly come back negative, and then I have to figure out whether they just give me a piece of paper with the result and I give the paper to the authorities at the airport, and then I am supposed to pretend I am perfectly happy with this weird inconvience? It seems like my government "canceled" my trip again. Now I have to worry about loosing money on my plane and train tickets and the 14 euros on the Alhambra fortress too.

Which choice above sounds most true?

Posted by
21 posts

It's a weird inconvenience for the government to try and make sure people flying back from foreign countries aren't carrying covid-19?

Mike L you can just buy your own covid test from a vendor approved by the airlines, bring it on the trip, and test yourself in the 48 hours before your return flight.

Posted by
2073 posts

Your second one is true. It isn’t an air line responsibility to test you. It is your responsibility to either take a test with you, or find a place that does the appropriate Covid test, make an appointment to get it done, and then show your test results at the time of your flight.

Posted by
3897 posts

I am supposed to pretend I am perfectly happy with this weird inconvenience?

I should note that this "weird inconvenience" is actually a global pandemic that is far from being over in Spain, and by the looks of it, far from being over in the USA too. It's a definite risk to attempt international travel in 2021, you have to be ready to be 100% flexible and willing to spend extra money (compared to pre-pandemic travel) to make things work.

Maybe it will work out... or maybe you will have to spend an extra week or two in quarantine in Spain because you tested positive, which does happen (just look at the Trip Advisor forum for Spain). If you are not comfortable with the risks and extra expenses, perhaps you should wait until 2022, when hopefully things will be more stable.

Posted by
1883 posts

Really Mike? What age is that that we “old” people are “Supposed to die”? Freedom to travel? You have it. Our government is trying its hardest with the changes in the variants and the people who won’t get vaccinated causing others to get sick. Even if vaccinated now there is a chance of a break through. At least with the vaccine, there is a greater chance one won’t end up in the hospital. The vaccine isn’t a guarantee one won’t catch or spread Covid to others. We are going to travel this fall, and adhere to any requirements that make it safer for others and ourselves. If we have to get tested before boarding our return flight, we will get tested. We will wear masks indoors, and out, if around other people. Any rules in the country we visit have, we will honor those rules. It doesn’t mean we don’t have freedom, ot means we care about others. Just because you have a “ good immune system” doesn’t protect you. More young people are sick and in hospital with Covid now even with “ good immune systems”. Being younger is not a guarantee you won’t die from Covid.

Posted by
270 posts

I just got back from Spain on Sunday - returning to the USA. The burden is on you, and it's a burden placed on you by the USA, not Spain.

In order to be allowed to get your boarding pass, board the plane in Spain and disembark from the plane in the USA, you have to have a very recent negative Covid test.

This means you have to have a test administered in Spain and you have to be able to show that it's negative. The quick tests you can buy at the Farmarcias does not give you a certificate. This left us with the option of only getting a test at a lab or a professional service. We booked an appointment for a quick test a couple of hours before our flight in Madrid airport. It worked out fine for us - only because we had an appointment. The line for those without appointments was hundreds (hundreds) of people long. More than a few people were running up and asking to be let to the front of the line because their flights were leaving soon (they were not allowed). The tests we took were cheap (25 euros) and the results were provided within 15 minutes or so. If you don't have an appointment, you will be there all day.

We were afraid what a positive result would mean. I think it means we would need to quarantine in Spain for 10 days, without leaving our hotel room. Maybe get travel insurance in case this happens? Unexpected costs would be late return to work, new flight, hotel, food, etc.

It was strange that in order to travel to Spain, a vaccine card was enough. No questions, no issues. To come back to the USA, we were required to provide proof of negative test at least three times in the course of our journey.

So, lines were much, much longer at every point. Boarding the airplane took much longer. Disembarking took much longer - there were health agents looking at our paperwork in order for us to get off of the plane (what would happen if we lost it?)

Safe travels. Be aware of the rules that may be everchanging.

Posted by
7049 posts

Let's hypothetically supposed the rules were cancelled and that
caused an extra up to 250,000 Americans to die. I would be ok with
that.

It's bad enpough that someone could actually think this to themselves, let alone write it out for all to see. Lack of understanding, compassion, social grace....lack of a filter in general. Wow.

Mike, thank goodness you are not in any position of power because you have no understanding of the functions of government (to preserve life/ safety and promote the general welfare) and of a civilized society, which doesn't simply discard its elderly or immunocompromised so easily. If you are having a conniption about having to do what others need to do these days to travel, then perhaps doing this trip now presents too much stress and should be postponed. I think the airlines still have no change fees, so you wouldn't lose your shirt. You are not going to be able to control everything anymore on your trips - if you lack the flexibility and patience and good grace to roll with it, then think twice about going (or adapt and just be ok with it). People have have been supremely kind, patient and helpful in giving you tips to navigate in the same way anyone else would have to navigate if they were making a similar trip.

Posted by
985 posts

In certain situations, when only some can be saved, a leader's job is to made decisions about who lives and who dies. Which is why you are happy somebody else has the job.

I scheduled a phone call with American Airlines. They changed my flights to Detroit to New York, 5 hour 45 minute layover, and then Another airport in New York to Madrid. Original flights were Detroit to Charlotte-Douglas, and from there to Madrid; on the way back there were 3 flights: Seville to Madrid, they accidentally dropped the flight from Madrid to Charlotte Douglas, and they kept the flight from Charlotte-Douglas to Detroit. Anyway I will tell them I wish they would just cancel my flights and give me a refund and at some later date I will find new flights. The flights are not supposed to be refundable but like last time hopefully they will use the fact that they changed my flights as their excuse to give me a refund even though they hate giving refunds.

Posted by
928 posts

I'm locking this thread as it is diverging from the intended topic.