Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

I plan to travel in Spain for up to 3 months and would like to purchase health insurance. My own insurance does not cover international travel. Any guidance?

Posted by
4825 posts

We've used Travel Guard in the past and have only had to file one claim. That claim was processed efficiently and we'll not hesitate to use them again. Another thing to consider is medical evacuation insurance. Most travel policies have medical evacuation coverage. But they USUALLY will only evacuate you to the nearest hospital than can treat you. There is a company named "Med Jet Assist" that has a number of different membership plans. It in NOT medical insurance -- just med evacuation coverage. As long as you are more than 150 miles from home, they will, if medically necessary, fly you back to your home hospital in a medical jet with medical personnel. Google them and see what you think

Posted by
2393 posts

Insuremytrip.com compares many plans with many options. The biggest thing to remember is most plans will only cover pre-existing medical conditions if purchased within 2 weeks of first payment on trip - what ever that is airline, cruise - so keep that in mind if you have any ongoing medical issues.

Posted by
2788 posts

Well said Christi. We checked out insuremytirp.com and ended up picking Travel Guard. They have many, many options to their policies including medical evacuation to your home hospital all of course add to their cost. We also add a large umbrella coverage which ups the coverage limits for not that much more money. As was posted, TG covers pre-existing conditions if you buy one of their policies within a few days (?) of making your first payment towards your trip which for us is plane reservations 6 months before departure. We have used them for about 6 years, ever since I went onto Medicare which did not cover me in Europe. Never had a claim but have read several post by folks who have filed a claim with them and all were positive replies. Three months in Spain? Lucky you. Happy Travels.