Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

we will be traveling for 2 weeks to Spain. I usually had gotten Travelex insurance and thought about Travelguard. I've read lots of negative reviews on Travelguard (lots of negative reviews from those who needed to use) and in regards to Travelex (all are giving good reviews but had also stated they did not have to use)

please......anyone use one of the companies mentioned and/or can suggest a company that you did have to put in a claim without any issues and good customer service ?

I am more concerned about any medical needs I may have or needing to get back to the States....etc.....

Many thanks forum !
Maria .

Posted by
2 posts

Last summer my wife sprained her ankle in Paris. We had Travelex Travel Max medical coverage. The medical cost came to about 650 euros. After we returned home I sent Travelex all their required information and received full reimbursement several weeks later. No follow up questions or phone calls from Travelex. Very happy with results. The best price I found was through Squaremouth.com. Hope this helps!

Posted by
2427 posts

We've used TravelGuard and have had some claims in the past. They always paid up quickly and the claim was easy to file. Perhaps those who are unhappy with TravelGuard didn't read their policy and got a nasty surprise when they found out they weren't covered for whatever incident arose. There are three levels of coverage - silver, gold and platinum. It's a good idea to review each level or coverage and the cost and determine how much you want to pay out of pocket should something unforeseen occur.

Posted by
4 posts

I'm looking on the site, "Squaremouth" and after viewing all the options it looks like a company called, "Tin Leg" has gotten some very high reviews. There are good and bad reviews on all of these insurance companies and I'm trying to make the best decision. I'd hate to find out I made a bad choice if something were to happen.

Any suggestions or has anyone ever heard of "Tin Leg".......I haven't till I went on this website.

Many thanks again to the Forum !

Posted by
993 posts

We get our insurance through our travel agent, and the latest ones have been through Travel Insured. We were stuck overnight in London at christmas, then re-routed a bit and missed a stop. They reimbursed us $1100 with no issues!

Kim

Posted by
993 posts

We get our insurance through our travel agent, and the latest ones have been through Travel Insured. We were stuck overnight in London at christmas, then re-routed a bit and missed a stop. They reimbursed us $1100 with no issues!

Kim

Posted by
4828 posts

We've had one claim with Travel Guard. They did require documentation but nothing that was not reasonable. Had a check in less than two weeks.

Another thing to consider is this. Most travel policies have medical evacuation coverage. But they USUALLY will only evacuate you to the nearest hospital than can treat you. There is a company named "Med Jet Assist" that has a number of different membership plans. It in NOT medical insurance -- just med evacuation coverage. As long as you are more than 150 miles from home, they will, if medically necessary, fly you back to your home hospital in a medical jet with medical personnel. Google them and see what you think.

Posted by
8293 posts

I see there are a lot of not-so-wonderful reviews of Tin Leg on the Cruise Critic forum. Does the name Tin .Leg inspire you with confidence?

Posted by
6534 posts

Never had to file a claim, but we get our travel insurance through allianz.

Posted by
23267 posts

The issue is the fine print and you seldom read that. We have been slightly burned on two cancellation policies simply because we didn't - in both case were unable - to read the fine print. Both had to do with airline cancellation insurance purchased with the ticket. Have concluded that is a sucker play. I think the independent travel insurance is a different issuewhen you have the opportunity to see what is covered and more importantly what is NOT covered. A good rule of thumb is the more expersive the policy more that is covered. Expect a premium around 5 to 10% of covered costs. There are two types of policies - sometimes combined. Medical insurance and trip cancellation/interruption. We carried a year around medical evac policy (very cheap) that will get us home anytime we are more than 500 miles away. Then depending on the situation we may or may not take a cancellation policy. Just depends on how much cash we have at risk. Personally I would not combine the two types of insurance. Buy what you need when you need it.