Please sign in to post.

Travel Insurance

For those of you with a "pre existing" condition, where have you found travel insurance?

Thanks

Posted by
16316 posts

Many standard travel insurance policies will cover pre-existing conditions IF you buy within a short time ( like 14 days) of the first payment or deposit you make toward your trip. But the rules are complicated and you need to read them carefully.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for bringing up this topic because it's our potential issue as well, roxanne. My wife and I are going to Europe, and we didn't buy travel insurance in the 15-day window of our Rick Steves Tour deposit. So my wife has what would technically be considered a pre-existing knee ailment. However, her last visit to the orthpedic surgeon in October 2023, he did not recommend surgery and noted she could do normal activities without limitations, other than some common sense precautions (using anti-inflammatories before walks, perhaps trekking poles, etc.). I'm overwhelmed by all the variables so I've decided to do some more research and wait on purchasing our policy until closer to our summer departure.

I tried to start a new forum topic but could not figure out how to do so. I'll reach out to the Rick Steves staff to see if they can assist me. I'm trying to get some advice on whether it matters if you buy your insurance two weeks before the trip or three months before the trip. We're already not qualified for the pre-existing medical condition waiver.

Posted by
2743 posts

Pdp24, I buy annual insurance which covers a fall trip and spring trip. Last year I bought insurance the week before I paid the final tour payment, will do the same this year. The intention is to cover the 50% that RS will not credit if I have a “covered event”, plus cover any prepaid trip, non-refundable trip costs.

I use Allianz which gets good reviews on the forum. Their Pre-existing Condition annual coverage is limited to the trip cancellation/interruption amount on the policy.

Posted by
3 posts

To Horsewoofie, Thank you for the reply and information to my post. I'll do my research and I appreciate the advice.
pdp24.