Please sign in to post.

Travel from Granada to Valencia

Hi-We are traveling in December to southern Spain starting in Madrid and ending in Paris.

We have read the forums on travel, and are trying to figure out the best way to travel between Granada and Valencia.

Our route we were thinking of is Madrid; Córdoba; Sevilla; Granada; Valencia; Barcelona and then back to Paris.

It looks like the train route goes from Granada back to Madrid?, and then down to Valencia?

What do you recommend instead? Air flight? Bus?

any advice on the transit options for this route would be helpful. Thanks.

Posted by
3894 posts

Personally, I think your best bet would be to rent out a car and directly drive to Valencia through Murcia, which is about 5 hrs.

You could also take the AVE high speed train, but would first require you to take the ALSA bus to Cordoba and then catching the AVE train back to Madrid and then hopping on the AVE east to Valencia, about 7 hrs.

Another option could be taking the ALSA bus from Granada to Valencia which includes 4 stops and comes in at 8 hrs.

Then again you could try to fly which is about 3 hrs but is more pricey.

Posted by
5581 posts

I think because of its size and shape, Spain is on sort of a spoke system for train travel. A lot of the routes radiate out from Madrid. (France is similar) For a traveler, its frustrating because it does seem reasonable to just be able to go from Granada to Valencia. And in addition, Granada is tricky right now because they really don't have trains at all. The Granada "train" travel is a bus ride to Antequera where you then catch a train. For us, it added at least an hour of travel time. I would look at Vueling and consider flying. If you book in advance you can get good rates. Or look at renting a car. I've been happy with rates and service with Autoeurope or bus.

Posted by
7175 posts

Consider making Toledo your first stop, then travel back through Madrid.

ie. Toledo; Córdoba; Sevilla; Granada; Madrid; Valencia; Barcelona and then back to Paris.

Posted by
86 posts

We didn't go to Paris this trip, but we flew to Granada -> Sevilla -> Cordoba -> Madrid -> Valencia -> Barcelona. After flying to Granada we traveled by train.