Please sign in to post.

Travel from Granada to Madrid

What is the easiest and least expensive way to get from Granada to Madrid without driving??

Posted by
5226 posts

Chris,

I'd suggest taking the train.
You could book your train tickets 60 - 90 days in advance, at considerable savings, on the Renfe website

Don't forget to book your Alhambra tickets way in advance too!

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
11294 posts

The train will require changing, while the bus will be direct, and take about 2 hours. The buses in Spain are not like Greyhound in the US; they're nicer, and you get an assigned seat. Schedules and prices here: https://www.alsa.es/en/our-destinations/national/granada-malaga

Note, however, that the Granada bus station is farther from the center of town than the train station is. Allow time for a local bus to the station, or take a taxi.

If you do want to take the train and book in advance, you WILL need this tutorial from TripAdvisor to use the Renfe website: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid:Spain:Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online.html. And don't waste time trying to get a US credit card to work; use Paypal, which works well.

EDIT: ignore the advice about getting to Malaga - I misread the inital post! But the TripAdvisor tutorial is still key.

Posted by
27190 posts

I think Harold mis-read the title the same way I did originally, thinking that the planned trip is to Malaga when it's actually to Madrid.

Depending on when the trip is planned, traveling by train may involve a bus leg from Granada to Antequera. That bus/train combo will take about 4 hours, at least 30 minutes less than an all-bus trip, but unless you're able to buy the ticket way in advance, rail will cost quite a bit more. The trains go to Atocha Station. Check the prices on the Renfe website.

ALSA runs buses that can take as little as 4-1/2 hours but often take longer. The least expensive bus trips run 5 to 5-1/2 hours. The buses terminate at Estacion Sur, which is not as convenient a location as Atocha Station, so you probably need to add a bit of extra time to get to your Madrid hotel.

Posted by
11294 posts

Yes, acraven, I did indeed misread it! Thanks for noting that.

Chris, from Granada to Madrid, you definitely want the train.

Posted by
4140 posts

The train is easy and convenient . While a bus leg is involved , it could not be easier . Book your ticket as soon as possible , go to the train station in Granada in ample time . The bus will be in front of the station and you will be directed to board for the one hour trip to Antequera Santa Ana . When you arrive , you will go through security upon entering the station and then board the appropriate train to Madrid ( be sure to have the train number to match to the departure board ) . I did this a few weeks ago , it was simple and no stress . While I detest buses as a rule , the ride on this one was quite pleasant .