Please sign in to post.

Travel advice

I will be staying at the Crown Resort in Marbella in May. My four friends and I plan on doing day trips from that location. The resort offers tours and I am planning on booking tours through them to Tangier and Gibraltar, although I am a little concerned as most of the reviews say they aren't worth going to.

I also want to go to Granada, but am unsure if I should book a tour through the resort or if it is better to drive up myself and book a 3 hour small group tour of Alhambra/Generalife. Is there anything I shouldn't miss while in Granada that wouldn't be offered on a tour? Should I drive and stop at any small towns on my way back to Marbella. I would love to stop at Nerja, but am not sure there is enough time to do both locations in one day.

There are so many other towns I want to visit such as Ronda and Cordoba and will probably drive to them rather than book tours. Is this too ambitious for a week branching out from Marbella?

I am then leaving for two days in Madrid. Anything special I should see there besides the Prado?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Posted by
27122 posts

Yeah, I question both Gibraltar and Tangier. Morocco is wonderful; a few hours in Tangier is a different matter. It's kind of like going to Tijuana, Mexico.

Beyond those two, I'd explore the public transportation options from Marbella. Some places may be viable without renting a car. The latter may be pretty expensive if you're a solo traveler.

You can look for train schedules on the Renfe website. Marbella has no trains, so you'd have to get to Malaga first, which might make buses always a better option; I'm not sure.

For places without train service, you can check Rome2Rio, then drill down through the bus options until you find a bus company link. Sometimes it's just as fast to Google "Bus Marbella to Ronda" and the like.

The website of the Marbella bus station may also be helpful.

I'm not sure whether the Alhambra can be fully enjoyed on a day-trip from Marbella, considering the distance involved. Perhaps someone else here has tried it.