Please sign in to post.

Train Reservations

I'm planning to buy tickets soon on the Renfe website for a trip we are taking in May 2018. If I reserve now and something comes up and we want to change the reservation, is that a big deal?

Posted by
27111 posts

Oh, yes. If you buy the super-low-priced promo tickets, there will be no changes and no refunds allowed. Those are throw-away tickets if you miss the train. So you need to weigh the amount to be saved against the risk that you will change your mind.

The biggest savings are on the longest trips (naturally), so if you can pin down one or two of those, it's certainly worth doing. Madrid-Toledo prices never change, so don't buy those early. I think Madrid-Segovia prices don't vary much, so you can hold off there. Seville-Cordoba will probably have less variation than Madrid-Cordoba, Madrid-Granada or Madrid-Barcelona.

For at least some train trips in Spain, the round-trip fare can be as low as the one-way fare, or even a bit lower. It's always worth checking that.

A lot of Americans have trouble buying tickets from the Renfe website. Reports indicate that PayPal works much better than US credit cards. The latter may not work at all.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for the feedback. How do I tell if it's a super low promo fare vs one that I can purchase now but maybe change later?

Posted by
16893 posts

All the details are there at the time of purchase, as well as you may see the term "promo" (for discounts) versus "flexible" (with fewer restrictions).

Posted by
27111 posts

If you're not clear on what you are seeing on Renfe.com, post the details (date, approximate time, origin, destination) and someone here can take a look for you.

I've linked to the English-language website, but unfortunately, when you click on the "+" under "Opciones", some of the explanatory material is in Spanish. I did learn, however, that sometimes you can pay a bit above the super-duper Promo fare and get a "Promo +" ticket that allows some changes or cancellations--but for substantial fees. And I think changes have to be made before the train is due to depart, so not too handy if your inbound flight is seriously delayed and you're planning an arrival-day train journey.

Posted by
98 posts

When will June 2018 train tickets be available on the Renfre site?

Posted by
210 posts

I wish you the BEST of luck with Renfe. Seriously! I have read where many have had success and were totally satisfied.

That would not be me. Last weekend I tried to book one leg of my trip. I tried various cards AND paypal....NO LUCK. I googled around for better instructions. Kept getting the "error" with some spanish words attached......at various stages of my transaction attempts. I even called twice, but having not enough spanish language skills, I was promptly disconnected. At one point one card was billed, but no ticket was sent to me (I got that charge....if there ever was one.....reversed).

After googling around I came across Trainline. I read reviews. I even tried test-booking a ticket to compare costs at the Renfe site. The price was the same. I found another seller that added euros to the ticket. I did not do that!

I may have been "scammed".....I don't think so?.......but Trainline went smooooooooth as could be. Most of my tickets are now booked. Got the emails with the tickets. No funny business on my cards....yet.

I know Renfe is reputable, but I was "lost in the weeds" with that site. I have read many more posts about people having positive transactions with Renfe than not.........but I am a "not". I am booked up via Trainline and happy. I think I learned a few new spanish words this weekend.....so all was not negative.

Posted by
2455 posts

I don't know your ages, but those over 60 qualify for the "Tarjeta Dorada", which costs a few euros, I think I paid 6 euros in 2016, and then that pass will get you a 25 to 40 percent discount on Renfe, depending on the day of the week, whether buying your tickets in person or online. The only hitch is that you must get the pass at a train station in Spain, showing your passport to verify your age, so you cannot buy before you arrive. However, when doing research online before arriving, you can look up schedules, prices and any promotional prices, which would require advance purchase and restrictions, and then put a 1 or 2 in the "Tarjeta Dorada" box, and it will show you the Tarjeta Dorada price, although you cannot use that discount until you have a pass in hand, so you can input your card's number. The Tarjeta Dorada is a great way to get discounts without having to commit yourself to no changes many weeks or months in advance.

Posted by
2940 posts

... important to notice that sometimes is cheaper to buy a train ticket -especially, but not only, for fast trains and interregional trains (long distance)- on offer rather than thru "Targeta Daurada" (here in Catalonia, "Tarjeta Dorada" elsewhere in Spain). When looking up Renfe's website, do simulate a purchase with "Targeta Daurada" and one without. When you choose this card it automatically disables other promotions as it applies a 25-40% discount on the regular fare but this discount can still result in a more expensive ticket than if a special offer (temporary promotion) is currently in place.