Please sign in to post.

train reservations?

We will be traveling by train from Madrid to Barcelona the end of June, a group of 4, and I'm wondering if it's necessary to book tickets in advance. If so, any suggestions for booking tickets online using the renfe website? Has anyone had any problems doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted by
597 posts

Your best deal is to purchase them in advance to get a discount. If you are going to buy them from Renfe establish a Paypal account. I had trouble trying to pay using my debit card. Seems like I had to establish some sort of verification code before Renfe could accept it. Later I realize I could have used Paypal.

Posted by
16893 posts

Renfe.es does have advance discounts that are more attractive than paying the full fare (over 100 euros per person in standard class). Do plan to pay with PayPal to avoid credit card processing issues. You will be locking in date, time, and seat assignments, which is a good idea if you want 4 seats together. Otherwise, there is no deadline to buy tickets at a train station or travel agency in Spain.

Posted by
565 posts

The deepest discounts are early in advance, but also know that those tickets are non-refundable. If you foresee any issues, shelling out a little extra for a 20-50% refund might be a good idea.

Posted by
11 posts

I'd like to tag on to Isabelle's question. I will be traveling from Barcelona to San Sebastian in October and don't know if the headache of online purchase is worth it. I have traveled by train in Europe and just purchased my tickets the day before at the station. Others feel free to jump in here.
thanks

Posted by
23282 posts

You are hijacking her question which is a bit impolite. This response and any others will be sent to Isabelle and she will think someone is answering her question but it is yours and your don't get any notification. But to answer your question - the only reason to purchase on-line is to take advantage of any discounts that might be available. If that is not important to you, then just buy walk up tickets. However, if over 60, buy a senior card for 6 Euro and that will get you walk up discounts of 25 to 40% depending on day of week.

Posted by
11 posts

My apologies to isabelle. It was not my intent to be impolite. Thank you for your info.