Please sign in to post.

Train from Madrid to Malaga

We are planning to take the train from Madrid to Malaga in September. Is it best to reserve & pre-purchase our tickets now, or wait until we get to Madrid? We have heard that there is a Seniors discount on the trains. Does this apply to people outside of the European Union? Anyone have advice for us? Thanks

Posted by
23547 posts

You can get deep discount if you purchase far enough in advance. However, those tickets come with restrictions --- no change, no refund. You can buy a senior card at the station for 7 or 8 euro and good for the year. That will get you 25% on weekday and 40% off on weekend on walk up fares. We always use the card for flexibility but the advance purchase are cheaper.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you Frank for your reply and helpful advice. We would feel more comfortable booking in advance, rather than wait until we get there. Have you travelled to Spain in September? Is it a busy time of the year?

Posted by
5288 posts

Yes, buying your train tickets in advance will save you money.

Keep in mind that the Tarjeta Dorada,
offers discount on full priced tickets, so as Frank has explained, you’ll save more by booking your tickets in advance.

My mom and I visited Andalucia in late September and there were many tourists everywhere we went. September and October are very popular months to visit Spain.
Keep in mind that the weather will still be warm. Most avoid going to Andalucia in the summer months due to the extreme heat.

If you plan to visit Granada on your trip, make sure you book your Alhambra tickets NOW.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
13 posts

Thank You Frank and Priscilla for your expert advice. We have decided that we will pre-book now to ensure that we get the date and time that we want. I noticed that there are a number of different websites for the train. Would you know which one would be the most legitimate one for travel from Madrid to Malaga? And which station in Madrid would we depart from?

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you Priscilla, we certainly do appreciate your helpful advice. I love this Rick Steves forum to find out information from those who have travelled. Next step is to get our Granada tickets booked. We're getting excited, less than 2 months to go.

Posted by
5288 posts

You're welcome!

Definitely get your Alhambra tickets soon!
I just checked and there are only afternoon tickets left for the first few days of September.

Posted by
22 posts

We were in Spain for 2 weeks from May 22-June 5. We took the AVE from Madrid to Malaga. I booked our tickets via Loco2.com the day they opened up tickets for May (about 60 days prior). When we got to Madrid, I bought a Tarjeta dorado and used that for a middle distance train from Malaga to Seville. I found the early ticket price (AVE) to be better than the senior discount, plus I was concerned that the AVE would fill up. We saved both ways.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank You SO MUCH Everyone for your very helpful advice. We decided to book our train tickets in advance, and had very little difficulty with the Renfe site. It helps to have Googe translator handy. We had no problem putting it through on our credit card. Next project is to book the Alhambra tickets.