Please sign in to post.

Train from Madrid to Malaga

If I am traveling on the AVE (believe that is the fast train) from Madrid (Atocha) to Malaga, I see on the map that it goes through Cordova but then there is a branch there to choose either Malaga or Seville. Do I stay on the same train or do i have to change trains to get to Malaga? If so, what train would I switch to? Thank you

Posted by
5214 posts

Fans,
The answer to your question depends on which train you choose.
If you check the Renfe website for train schedules, you'll see that there are various trains traveling this route.

I chose January 25th for this example...
If you choose to depart at 6:20am (from Madrid) which entails an AVE-AVANT combination, meaning you will need to transfer to an an AVANT train in Córdoba vs. departing on the 7:20 AVE train which goes directly to Malaga, however, the train may make a stop in Córdoba (but you don't need to get off)

You can see all the details of your journey by following these steps on the Renfe website (once you've entered your departure & arrival & date information):

1. Click on the purple square icon with "+" sign, next to the price of
    the ticket.

2. Then you can click on the rectangle with the word, " + DETALLES" (
    details)

3. Then click on the, "See route", next to the route,
    "MADRID-PUERTA DE ATOCHA...........MALAGA MARIA ZAMBRANO"
    & you'll see all the route details, including departure/arrival times, train numbers, etc.

So... If you want to get off in Córdoba for a few hours, you will need to buy 2 tickets; one to travel Madrid >> Córdoba, and another to travel Córdoba >> Malaga.
However, if your intent is to travel directly to Malaga, then choose a time traveled by the "AVE" train (high speed train)

You may find these websites helpful:

Enjoy your trip!

P.S. Do you plan to visit Granada from Malaga? I'd urge you to consider staying in Granada for at least a couple of nights, rather than visiting as a day trip.

Don't forget to buy your Alhambra tickets way in advance.

Edit to add...
You can buy your train tickets in advance (60-90 days) at considerable savings if you choose to, but it's tricky to do so for day of arrival, due to possible flight, airport delays.

Don't forget to buy your Alhambra Tickets way in advance!

Posted by
23278 posts

Ok. Keep in mind that using trains in Europe is just like use the airlines to travel in the US. You do not always have a direct train from point A to D. Sometimes you will need to change trains just like changing airlines. You get off one train at a platform (think gate) and go to the next platform for the next train. And sometimes you may have to change trains a couple of times. Connection times can be short because the distances between platform is not that far so easy to walk quickly from one platform to another. Train arrivals and departures are posted on an overhead screen just like in an airport. Always know your train number and you will easily see the information you need to know.