Please sign in to post.

Train from Granada to Sevilla

I will be traveling in Andalusia in mid-October and have been able to book most of my connections but I am lacking a connection between Granada and Sevilla. RENFE and Trainline still say there are no trains available on the date. We are now only about 6 weeks out from the date. I know RENFE is difficult and unpredictable, but am I perhaps missing something? Should I be worried yet about connections or do I just need to be patient?
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Francis

Posted by
8398 posts

Be patient. I notice that trains are loaded through October 15th on this route at this time. 6 weeks seems like a short time when you have been planning a trip for months (sometimes years) but in terms of buying rail tickets in Spain it can easily be too far out.
Current schedule shows 7 trains a day, 4 of them quicker than the other 3.

Posted by
1099 posts

According to Seat61
https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-spain.htm

When does booking open?

This is a major problem with Renfe. In theory, tickets should go on sale 60 days ahead for all trains other than AVE trains which should open 90 days ahead. In practice, Renfe is a law unto itself and loads what it likes when it likes, in blocks of dates, sometimes as little as 30 days before departure and often loading some trains and not others. If you go online and don't see the complete train service which you're expecting to see and it's over a month before departure, WAIT, as the chances are that all trains are not yet loaded. Renfe is particularly lax in opening bookings for dates after the timetable changes at midnight on the 2nd Saturday in June and 2nd Saturday in December.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks all, I will be patient. RailEurope sent me a message that it has tix now for that day but Renfe does not, I'll wait for Renfe. The site is difficult but I will wait to get the tix from the source.
Thanks again,
Francis

Posted by
954 posts

Many on this forum have used the buses. There are a lot more options and it is about the same travel time. It might be worth looking into.

Posted by
68 posts

I'm in a similar situation, waiting for all of the Renfe trains to be loaded for Thursday, October 19th, for the route Jerez de la Frontera to Seville. Managed to book all of our other trains for the trip (Seville-Cordoba, Cordoba-Granada) for later dates, using Trainline. Tried to be patient but really wanted to nail everything down and not have to worry about it any more, so we booked them yesterday :~). Finally decided to book a private sedan transfer form our hotel in Jerez to our apartment in Seville, for not much more than the cost of 2 1st class train tickets and the taxis on either end.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you for these great insights! I’m waiting to book a train from Cordoba to Granada on October 20th. A few have been posted so far, but not the same number as the more current schedule, and less convenient times. I’ll wait a bit longer!