Please sign in to post.

Train from Barcelona to Madrid

I am trying to book the train from Barcelona to Madrid for the early morning of 9/11/2015, a Friday. The Renfe site keeps giving me the message that "the train is not available at this time and to try back later". I have been trying for several days. It has the same message for all 11 morning trains. I tried petrabax and I can only bring up an afternoon train. Does this mean all the morning trains are sold out? Is there a way I can actually tell? I can bring up all Friday trains for the week before and after. I know the renfe site is quirky but I am only 3 1/2 weeks out and would like to book this. Any suggestions? Thanks

Posted by
362 posts

Loco2.com is only showing a 12:50 train as well. Best to call Renfe directly.

Posted by
17 posts

I just went on RailEurope and it shows all the am trains available but the price is double of the Renfe site.

Posted by
15560 posts

Try PM'ing BennyMalaga on the Trip Advisor Spain forums. He wrote the article on using the Renfe site and may be able to give you the best information and advice.

Posted by
984 posts

Interesting and significant date - when all other days either side are available.

Posted by
16893 posts

The trains are not sold out, but also are not open for booking at the moment. I recommend that you do just try back later, maybe next weekend.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks for your help everyone. I kept trying every day and finally today the trains were available for booking but all the inexpensive fares were already gone. Still, booking on Renfe was 50 euro cheaper than the other sites.

Posted by
35 posts

Just booked the same today for later in month. I would recommend calling your bank before to authorize the charge prior to anyone trying to book with Renfe. my bank wouldn't let it go through which I understand is common. Then multiple tries shut me out. There are easier ways but they do cost significantly more.

Posted by
35 posts

Just booked the same today for later in month. I would recommend calling your bank before to authorize the charge prior to anyone trying to book with Renfe. my bank wouldn't let it go through which I understand is common. Then multiple tries shut me out. There are easier ways but they do cost significantly more.

Posted by
4535 posts

@Wendy - RENFE now offers an option to pay with Paypal. Use it. Even getting bank approval, Verified by Visa and so on is not a guarantee that your card will be accepted. And I can say with experience that your card might work once, then 10 minutes later is rejected. Use Paypal - same cost - no hassle.