Please sign in to post.

Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are pricing out the differences in taking a train from Barcelona to Madrid versus flying. Part of the reason for this is that we will be traveling on to Toledo on that same day so this would negate the cost of travel from the Madrid airport to the Madrid train station.

As we research this, it seems there a quite a few booking sites online for train travel between Barcelona and Madrid. Does anyone have a suggestion as to an online site where we could book our train tickets direct for best prices? Thanks for any suggestions!

Linnet

Posted by
548 posts

This is a route where there is in fact more than one service provider, because in addition to Renfe (the state railway operator), Ouigo (a French low-cost company with a Spanish subsidiary) also operates a small number of trains, which tend to be cheaper than Renfe's trains.

That said, unless you are extremely cost sensitive, I would book with Renfe -- Ouigo's low-cost fares also come with the low-cost business model, i.e. lots more additional fees than on Renfe's trains.

I will note that the Renfe website is not the world's best designed (if you read Spanish, this satirical article from El Mundo Today, which is basically the Spanish version of The Onion, says it all) and has a tendency to switch inconsistently back and forth between English and Spanish, but it's the official site.

Posted by
3904 posts

Renfe introduced a lower cost high speed train option called AVLO, just in the past year. They make trips from Barcelona to Madrid. Here is where you can get official tickets - https://avlorenfe.com/vlc/home.do?c=_As7n

FYI when in doubt you can always just buy the tickets directly at the train station, this is what I've always done with no issues.

Posted by
6375 posts

Book in advance and the train will be reasonably priced. And in my opinion you'd be mad to consider flying when the train takes 2,5 hours city centre to city centre. And if you are going to Toledo, buy a ticket from Barcelona to Toledo and the connection in Madrid will be protected.

Posted by
23 posts

Thank you everyone for this great information!!! I really appreciate all of your tips! After reading how easy it is, we will definitely be taking a train!

Thanks again!

Linnet