Please sign in to post.

Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Hi

Is it really necessary to book train tickets in advance, I usually just show up and buy a ticket from a machine, that's how it worked in Italy, I would like a little advice on the subject.

Posted by
27138 posts

It depends mostly on how price-sensitive you are. There's quite a difference in the fare you'll pay for an AVE train if you buy the ticket well in advance vs. shortly before the trip. Check it out: Go to the Renfe website and plug in your trip for tomorrow. Use "Barcelona (Todas)" and "Madrid (Todas)" as the origin and destination. Check the same trip for about 3 months from now.

The website's not working for me at the moment, but I think you may find the January ticket costs about 3 times as much as the April ticket.

The trains run approximately hourly. I'd guess that at really busy times (Fridays before holidays, for example), the occasional train might sell out, though I don't think that's common.

Posted by
5214 posts

Bill,

You can certainly buy your train tickets from an automated machine, the day you choose to travel, but you will likely be paying the expensive full price fares.

You may also choose to buy in advance, to take advantage of the inexpensive tickets, which sell out rather quickly.

You may want to check for yourself and compare (as Acraven has described above) on Renfe.com

You may also want to refer to this informative website: An Epic Guide to Train travel in Spain

If you qualify for the, Tarjeta Dorada (Golden Card), you can buy tickets at a discount too.

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
4535 posts

As the others have noted, the main issue is price versus flexibility. Whichever is more important to you is the decision for you.

Also know that the advanced purchase fares have limited or no ability to change the tickets if something comes up (depending on which advance fare you purchase).