My wife and I need to take a train from Madrid to Seville the day we arrive on March 27th. Our flight gets in at 11:30 AM. I am thinking a 3:00 train might be safe in terms of a potential flight delay, time getting off the plane, going through customs/immigration, and then taking transportation to the train station.
1) Do you think this timeframe is appropriate or would you schedule the train earlier or later? Trains for March 27th have posted to Renfre's website.
2) Can I confirm that the best station option leaving from Madrid is the Puerta De Atocha? And arriving in Seville, is it Santa Justa? We are staying in the city center.
3) The trip durations differ somewhat. For example, there is 3:00 train that is for 2 hours, 21 minutes. The 2:00 train is for 2 hours, 40 minutes. Is there a reason for this difference? Will we have to change trains for the Madrid-Seville trip?
4) In researching options for Seville-Granada, train descriptions vary from "AVANT-AVE" to "AVE-AVE" to "LD-AVE." I presume this means we will need to switch trains. What do these different options mean?
5) For Granada, I'm wondering if it will be easier for us to take a bus. I prefer the train as we can get up and walk around, relatively comfortable restrooms. But I don't like that we may need to transfer. It looks like about a 3 hour trip by bus from Seville-Granada while the trains vary quite a bit--the shortest one is 2 hours, 25 minutes (looking at January 21).