Please sign in to post.

Train connections from Cordoba to Toledo

We are going to Toledo from Cordoba on May 31st (via the Madrid Atocha train station, since the only way to get to Toledo is through Madrid). I was hoping to get tickets on Iryo from Cordoba to Madrid, but so far, I have only gotten error messages. It seems the route opens on 3/31/23, so I'm not sure if it's too early to make reservations for that, or if it's a technical glitch. I've also checked on Renfe and know it's too early to make reservations through them. My questions are, how long should I allow for a connection time in Atocha for the train to Toledo and is it worthwhile trying to purchase tickets in advance.

Posted by
1422 posts

Try www.TheTrainline.com
They do have IRYO tickets for a morning train Cordoba to Madrid Atocha you can now buy ( today) for$23. Have a great Trip!

Posted by
4078 posts

I can’t answer your real questions.

But on the Renfe app, I could buy a ticket from Cordoba to Toledo for next week all on one ticket. One option allows 23 min for the change at Atocha and a second option allows 1 hr 33 min. I assume the same would be true for upcoming dates not yet available.

Posted by
30 posts

I saw the same information on Renfe for next week, but I'm not sure if a short connection time is feasible. Does anyone have experience with transfers at Atocha to Toledo? We would rather not spend 1.5 hours waiting if we can make it with a shorter connection.

Posted by
882 posts

If you decide to plan your travel with an hour layover, Reina Sofia, Madrid's premier modern art museum is directly across the street from Atocha station - less than a five minute walk. Picasso's Guernica is there and, admission for seniors 65+ (with a valid passport) is free.
I can recommend a wonderful tour guide in Toledo if you wish.

Posted by
5211 posts

Cheryl,

I’d recommend booking your Córdoba to Madrid tickets in advance if you’d like to save money by getting discounted tickets.

However, there’s no advantage to booking your Madrid to Toledo train tickets as these tickets don’t change in price, and there are also frequent trains running this route.
You could buy your train tickets on the Renfe app once you arrive to Madrid.

The Madrid Puerta de Atocha station is very large and I found it a bit confusing, so it’s difficult for me to tell you how long it will take you for the transfer.

Hopefully others will chime in with more information.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
27111 posts

The Madrid-Toledo trains do sometimes sell out, so I'd monitor ticket availability to be sure it was safe to wait to buy the ticket.