Please sign in to post.

train

Six of us will be traveling by train from Barcelona to Vilanova , then again from Vilanova to El Prat. This will occur in late May and early June......I believe before crowded beach season. I really would like to stay flexible on my departure times. I do not care about getting a good price on a train ticket.......just want to make sure we get a seat....especially on very early morning train to airport. Reading conflicting info as to whether I have to prebuy ticket. Will I be relatively safe purchasing tickets at the train station 4-5 days before our travel dates? Or do I need to go through the hassle of figuring out exact times and purchasing online? Additionally, how much time should I allow for travel from Vilanova to El Prat for a 10 AM flight.......I know how long train ride is-guess I'm asking how early should we get to airport? Thank you.

Posted by
2949 posts

Hi Tam

1.) Albeit as @djp_syd spotted you're likely to be talking about Vilanova i la Geltrú, it's well worth NOT shortening foreign names as you might get the wrong advice. There are 11 towns in Catalonia which contain the word "Vilanova" -which, btw, it means "new town" in Catalan, the local language.

2.) This is a commuting line, so it can be busy (at certain hours) all year long.

3.) You don't (can't!) purchase tickets for "short distance" (or commuting) trains. You purchase the ticket at the station, either at the booth or at the ATMs -which present the information in several languages. Since you're a party of 6, I would purchase a T-10 travelcard for 4 (four!) zones which will cost you 35.25€ and has 10 journeys. This is a multiperson travelcard, meaning each one of you can use the same card, providing you all board at the same station and get off also at the same station. Just pass the card to each other and insert it in the turnstile once for every passenger. Thus you'll be paying 3.50€ p.p. instead of 4.20€ p.p. (single ticket)

4.) For schedules you shouldn't worry, there are at least 4 and 6 trains per hour to/from Barcelona. EPL is in the same line, a few stations before Barcelona-Sants and Barcelona-Passeig de Gràcia.

5.) That'll depend on where are you flying. If it's an internal EU flight, a couple of hours should suffice, meaning that you should be at the airport by 8 thus departing Vilanova i la Geltrú by 6ish. Why so early?, because you need to transfer in El Prat de Llobregat and take a train to the airport there. The journey from ViG to EPL takes between 35 and 50' (there are different types of commuting trains), but then there at EPL there are "only" two trains per hour to the airport. You should leave a healthy cushion to avoid unforeseen. From EPL to the Aeroport it takes less than 10'.

Note HOWEVER that all of this is dependent on where are you flying (for example some companies flying to the US "require" that you're at the airport at least 3 hours in advance) and also in which day... there are days during the Summer when the airport is particularly busier than normal. This is the 10th busiest airport in the EU with over 45 million pax/year, in the US only LAX has more international passengers than BCN.

An alternative to all of this is a bus, straight from ViG to the airport.

Enjoy!

Posted by
22 posts

Hello,
Yes I meant Vilanova i la Geltru. Point well taken......thank you very much for pertinent advice concerning city name! It is a flight back to the US so we will want to be there very very early. Do the trains and buses run that early? When flights are concerned, I'm not going to worry about money.........huge loss of money for 6 should we miss. Feel like I should book a driver(sounds easier as well). Is there a company that you would recommend that is very reliable? Trying to hustle that many people (4 young adults) that early in the morning sounds daunting. I really think a reliable driver would bring us the most peace of mind on getting to airport on time(feel like we would miss rush hour traffic that early). Thank you for the great advice.
Tam

Posted by
22 posts

Hello Again,
Also concerning the trains to Vilanova i la Geltru.........I'm seeing Renfe as a choice as well. I'm guessing you suggested Rodalies perhaps because it is less expensive? With six of us plus luggage.......are we OK on the commuter train or would Renfe be better with luggage? Or are they both about the same? In Italy, there was precious little room for luggage on the commuter trains. LOL. Thanks again for all your help.
Kind Regard,
Tam

Posted by
2949 posts

A regular taxi from Vilanova i la Geltrú to the airport should cost you not more than 75€. Try https://rbtaxivilanova.com or https://taxivilanova.com/

RENFE "is" the train company. Rodalies is just the brand for the commuting trains.

But yes, our commuting trains are spacious (when they're not too crowded!):
http://www.trenscat.com/renfe/images/bcnsants/P150721010.jpg
http://www.trenscat.com/renfe/images/trens/440/P8230132.jpg
http://diaridevilanova.sobrevia.net/gestiobeta/arxius/ddv/imatges/201611/1200_1480064788interior_tren_renfe_sc.jpg
Albeit if your luggage is really big you might have a bit of a problem.

Anyway, from ViG there are no other type of trains to EPL.

(*) We do shorten names, of course, but one needs to know "the context" in which one shortens ;))) And yes, Vilanova i la Geltrú is often shortened to Vilanova... but only when there's no chance that the other party can mistake it for another Vilanova, LOL!

Posted by
22 posts

Totally understand on name......Very important info when you're not a local!! Ok on train.....I thought from my reading that rodalies was commuter and Renfe was mid distance train so thank you for clarifying. Found bus schedule.....starts at 7:20 so that is not an option. I think for ease of mind at 5 or 6 in the morning........$75 dollars is a bargain!!! Thank you so much for all your extremely valuable advice. Soooooo excited-12 more days until we leave!!!
Kind Regards,
Tam

Posted by
2949 posts

Not that it matters much, but it's 75€ :) --anyway, double-check it, I'm talking on what I recall (have friends in ViG)

Posted by
22 posts

Yes! Still a bargain for six for ease and peace of mind even if it's any where close to that price in euros!

Posted by
22 posts

Yes! Still a bargain for six for ease and peace of mind even if it's any where close to that price in euros!

Posted by
2949 posts

https://rbtaxivilanova.com/#precios ... and a bit more as you'll need a large mini-van type. Normal car = 4 pax.
Also know that there's motorway from ViG to BCN thus travel time by car is "fairly" quick -rush hour permitting.