Please sign in to post.

Tours in Barcelona

Hi all, I am hoping to go to Barcelona in October. I have been to Spain but didn't make it to Barcelona and I wanted to go. I am looking for a good tour, walking is fine. When in Italy, we took of Walks of Italy and it they were great! We are interested in the Sagrada Familia as part of a tour. Also, any suggestions for a hotel are appreciated, mid-range price, under $200/night please!
Thanks very much!

Posted by
10344 posts

I was just in Barcelona two weeks ago and did several of the Walks in Rick's Barcelona guidebook, which were excellent.

Posted by
26840 posts

I took the Barri Gotic walking tour offered by the Tourist Office. It was very good, and I noticed that on that day, at least, our group seemed to be smaller than the others walking around the same area.

I was happy with the audioguide at La Sagrada Familia and don't know anything about tours there (consult the official website), but I doubt that the mass-market tours allow as much time in the building as I spent there, which was probably at least 90 minutes from the time I walked in the door--and I am not at all religious. There can be substantial waits to get inside even with a tour. I would certainly allow extra time after the tour.

Note that entry fees at the most popular sights in Barcelona are very high. Figure on roughly $30 US per adult. I think you'll find that general tours do not include entries to any of the expensive sights. Some of the venues are very crowded (Casa Batllo, Casa Mila, Picasso Museum), and I suspect they do not allow outside tour guides to conduct indoor tours, because doing so could impede the ability of other visitors to move around, which is a problem at the best of times (unless you have the day's first time slot).

In addition to the sights already mentioned, you'll need to pre-purchase tickets or a tour if you want to visit Parc Guell and possibly also the Palau de la Musica Catalana. I'm not sure about the Palau, whose entry procedures have changed since I saw it in2016.

Yesterday I was able to walk right up to the ticket counters and buy spur-of-the-moment tickets to the Sant Pau modernista site and Casa Vicens, which was Gaudi's first work in Barcelona and only recently restored and opened to the public.

The various websites will list the conducted-tour and audioguide options available for the venue.

Posted by
10344 posts

You probably already know that you should book your ticket for the Sagrada Familia well in advance.

Posted by
1337 posts

Last week I had an excellent walking and tapas tour with Blanca from Wanderbeak. They are very new and excellent. Someone who was listening to our tour asked for Blanca’s card. www.wanderbeak.com.

Posted by
50 posts

Don't forget to book your tickets to Sagrada Familia online. The audio guide is very helpful and informative. Enjoy!