Please sign in to post.

Total Solar Eclipse in Spain 2026

We will be in Spain in August, 2026 and would like advice on the least cloudy location to view the total solar eclipse on Aug. 12.

Totality will go through the northern coast (including Bilbao), but this region tends to get a lot of rain. Zaragoza, Segovia, and Valencia are also in the path of totality.

We would love any recommendations!

Thank you.

Posted by
2360 posts

I'd use something like Weather Underground to look at weather history for August (you need to switch to show month view, then toggle through the years - here's the one for Zaragoza in 2023 https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/es/zaragoza/LEZG/date/2023-8)

No way to know of course what the weather will be like in 2 years - I think they're even having trouble predicting the weather for the total eclipse in the US/Mexico this coming Monday! Having witnessed the total eclipse in 2017, I highly recommend you get as close to the center of the path of totality as you can - the farther edges (according to the map, Valencia, Zaragoza) aren't quite as dramatic, but are still neat. Also, you'll want to make reservations as soon as places allow you to do so.

Posted by
1 posts

After witnessing my 6th Solar Eclipse in Texas, I just started to research Spain in 2026 and also figured that the 2027 Eclipse that is being touted as Egyptian actually goes right through Gibraltar - Southern Spain is on the list for me ! That being said the 2026 Event will be towards sunset - If you are in Northern Spain - near Leon - the Sun will be about 9 degrees above the horizon - that is pretty low, but "doable" - further south the Sun gets too low IMHO.
So... that puts me wanting to visit Bilbao to Pamplona and/or the Northern Coast or maybe Leon/Burgos/Valladolid area? What is the make on a Northern Spanish Fling?
By the By - a Sunsetting Eclipse would be AWESOME ! ! !

Posted by
404 posts

If I remember right, what I read is that you want a view to the west. Given the zig zag coast and the mountains, you’ll want to pay close attention to the terrain. A car will help but August is mega- high season. But I’m headed there soon and will let you know if there’s an especially good area! :)

Posted by
6575 posts

I read on one website that the best statistical chance of clear skies will be in the town of Alcañiz. It is southeast of Zaragoza. That came from a tour site so take it with a grain of salt. It also says totality will last all of 1 minute 24 seconds.

Posted by
331 posts

Keep in mind it will be in the evening and the altitude of the sun will be very low, only be about 10 to 12 degrees above the horizon. The azimuth ( direction) will be 280 degrees (almost due west). So many locations will not be ideal ( eg mountains or buildings will block the view) . A Coruña or somewhere on Galicia’s west facing coast is probably best. Totality will also be shorter than this week in the US, less than 2 minutes.