Please sign in to post.

Toledo to Granada

What is the best way of getting from Toledo to Granada in Spain? I can't find any direct trains on the Renfe site. Do I have to go back to Madrid? I will be traveling on a Saturday in August and want to leave early in the morning. However, there don't seem to be any early trains from Toledo to Madrid. Should I take a bus to Madrid and then a train to Granada?

Posted by
16893 posts

There are no direct trains; you do go back through Madrid P. Atocha station and the earliest train departs Toledo at 9:25 on weekends (earlier Mon-Fri). I have not checked bus schedules to compare, but bus is also a fine mode of transportation.

Posted by
12172 posts

Bus will probably take less time and cost much less, but somewhat less comfortable - they're nice charter type buses but they don't have as much room as a train. Bus stations are more like airports in the sense that competing companies use the same station, there is no monopoly but usually a few bigger companies dominate different regions. Each bus station I've visited had an information kiosk with an English speaker who can help you sort your options and book your tickets. I've never been on a sold-out bus but I do get tickets the day before so I can plan my next day ahead of time. This isn't a short ride. Via Michelin says it's four hours, but I'd guess a little more.

Posted by
15576 posts

When I planned my trip to Granada, the train and bus travel times were the same. There just isn't a fast train to Granada. I chose the train because the times worked better with my schedule, but the bus looked very comfortable.

Posted by
1315 posts

Pretty sure the train line from Madrid to Granada is under construction during this summer. I travel through the area in early September , so I booked the Alsa bus Madrid >Granada. There are drops along the way and it looks like the travel time will be 4+- hours. For 20€ it seemed like the way to go.

Happy travels