Please sign in to post.

Toledo Spain

I'm arriving in Madrid Spain with my elder mother (First time to Europe), staying for one night then heading to Toledo. We have 3 more nights before having to head back to Madrid to fly to Italy. I was thinking of staying 2 nights in Toledo then maybe 1 night somewhere else where we don't have to travel too far before heading back to Madrid. Are there any suggestions between or not to far between Toledo and Madrid? Thank you in advance.

Posted by
27138 posts

Is it not possible to go straight to Toledo on the day you arrive in Madrid? It's a short train ride and would cut out one (annoying) change of hotels. That first day is likely to be a matter of fighting off sleep after the (presumed) overnight flight, so you really might as well use part of it get yourself to Toledo. Also, Toledo is great for just wandering around since much of the historic area is pedestrianized.

Do you have no interest in Madrid? Your original plan really doesn't give you any time there. If that was intentional, I can suggest my two other favorite cities in Madrid's orbit: Segovia and Cuenca. Cuenca is quite hilly, which might be an issue for your mother. (Actually, Toledo is far from flat itself.)

Segovia can be handled as a spur-of-the-moment day-trip from Madrid if you prefer, though I think there's enough to keep you busy for a full day. Cuenca needs to be pre-planned because getting there quickly requires use of the high-speed AVE train. Those tickets can be bargain-priced if purchased early, but they are likely to skyrocket beyond reasonable-for-a-quick-trip range if you buy then not long before your travel date.

Posted by
7175 posts

2 nights in each, Toledo & Madrid.
The order depends on your flight time to Italy on the 5th day.

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you sooo much! We are traveling from CA-USA. Our flight schedule is not the best (As for the great price.) I believe we'll be traveling 1 1/2-2 days? We arrive in Madrid at 11:30p.m. by the time we get luggage and transportation, my daughter picked one of the closest hotels near the airport where we can go sleep the whole day. Thought we might go have lunch or dinner at the Plaza Mayor at some point later that day, then travel the following day to Toledo. My daughter went to school in Spain and has been to Madrid 3 times. She said it's a big city with so many people and didn't think we would like it? I thought we may need some time to adjust to jet lag. We have 3 nights more to plan and definitely want to get to Toledo. I thought of staying 3 nights in Toledo but from the sounds of it, 1-2 nights sounds sufficient enough? Are there small towns in between not as touristy to stay at for one night?

Posted by
7175 posts

Day
01. Late arrival. Stay Madrid airport (1N)
02. PM train to Toledo (1N)
03. Evening train to Madrid (2N)
04. Madrid or Segovia
05. 13:30 flight to Rome

Posted by
2743 posts

Do you arrive 11:30 PM or AM?? You say PM, but then you say lunch or dinner later that day. If you arrive 11:30 AM, you will be at T4 where the easiest exit is the Regional rail to Atocha station, 30 minutes, which is where you get the train to Toledo -which is a 30 minute ride. Trains are hourly in the PM. Toledo would be great for chilling out the jet lag.