Please sign in to post.

TOLEDO day trip from Madrid

Planning spain trip in november this year
Taking bus from MADRID and reaching by 8-8:30 a.m

Order of attractions to visit:

Puerta de Bisagra
Iglesia de Santiago del Arrabal, Toledo (Optional)

Museum of Santa Cruz (MUST)
Alcázar de Toledo (Inside is optional)
Santa Iglesia Catedral Primada de Toledo (MUST)
Church of Santo Tomé (MUST)

Sinagoga de Santa María La Blanca

Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes (MUST)

San Martin's Bridge
Mirador del Valle (Final stop- reaching before sunset)
Albergue Castillo San Servando (Optional)

Taking bus back before 8 pm

I only have a day (I know it's less but isn't that same for all spanish cities?)
Please recommend if the above places can be done in a day. If not, then which ones to skip. I love to walk, so that is not a problem.
Any other tips for Toledo are also welcome !!
This will be the first of a series of posts in near future, as I finalize the itinerary. Sorry about that. lol

Thanks !!!

Posted by
10344 posts

Taking bus from MADRID and reaching by 8-8:30 a.m.

If you mean you will get from Madrid to Toledo in 30 minutes by bus, it will take longer than 30 minutes. You can do it in 30 minutes by taking the AVE train, which is a pretty good choice compared to bus.

Rick Steves has suggested itineraries for a day trip to Toledo, in his guidebook on Madrid and Toledo.

Posted by
52 posts

I’ll take the bus as its only an hour long journey and it’s cheap. But if anybody has first hand experiences of the places I listed above and advise on some decent (not fine dining) restaurants, it would be helpful.
I’ll buy Rick’s spain travel guide, I watch his videos, but I would still like to hear different people.
Thanks

Posted by
10344 posts

The Alcazar is good viewed from the outside, but what you see today is the mid-20th century reconstruction after it was destroyed in the Spanish Civil war.

Toledo No. 1 Site: The Toledo Cathedral is one of Europe's best, #1 on many travelers' itineraries.

Toledo No. 2: Santo Tome has El Greco's masterpiece in situ (Burial of the Count of Orgaz).

Posted by
52 posts

Thanks Kent. Yes I will see those two places for sure. Are you a geotechnical engineer? Whenever I see someone use “in-situ”, I think that person is a geotechnical engineer lol

Posted by
27057 posts

You will need to get a very early start that day if you want to use the bus and reach Toledo by 8:30 AM. You must first get to Plaza Eliptica bus station. Train tickets do not vary in price by date purchased, and your lodgings may be closer to Atocha Station than to Plaza Eliptica. Both train and bus tickets can sell out.

How rushed you will be depends partly on how much time you spend inside each place. Toledo is quite hilly; that will slow your walking pace a bit.

I trust you'll have an electronic map on your smartphone to reduce time spent getting lost--a potentially significant issue in Toledo. I'd print a map off the Internet as well and mark all the sightseeing targets to assist with pre-trip strategy.

It will be very important to have current and accurate information on the opening hours and days at each site. I was in Toledo three years ago and don't remember for sure (I spent 3 nights there and did not need to rush), but I think some of those sites may close for an extended period in the afternoon.

Posted by
52 posts

Thanks. That’s really helpful. Yes I will have both electronic maps and printed maps. Most of the timings are 10 am to 6 pm when I checked recently. I’m hoping the weather in November will be pleasant for me to be able to walk freely. And I’ll have to be flexible to adjust my schedule accordingly.

Posted by
27057 posts

That's excellent news about the hours of operation.

You might travel with some high-energy snacks, because I suspect you may not have time for a real meal until you get back to Madrid.

Posted by
52 posts

yeah will be having some snack bars. I will surely find time to taste some tea and marzipan. Have to !!

Posted by
4573 posts

I was there in early Nov 2017. Cool, but not bitter cold. That being said, it was also a year of extended drought, so no rain either.
I will admit, I liked the little Zocavar train to see the city as el Greco did. I guess that is the Mirador entry. I hope you don't plan to walk there....
Town is hilly, but fairly compact. If you plan your route ahead of time, you should be able to see all or most of this. Some don't require a lot of time.
I travel pretty budget conscious, but for 12.50E, each way, I stuck with the train....but then I was also just a few blocks from Atocha station.
There was a multi site entrance ticket that may cover a number of your sites. A 9E tourist bracelet. https://www.sanjuandelosreyes.org/en/monument/
Alcazar was one that I missed as it was closed and didn't fit into my logistical plan, but the outside is pretty majestic.
I think the Puerto de Bisagra is low on the altitude. I am most likely older than you. The taxi ride to my hotel went by it....that was enough for me :-) Have you researched the escalator location and option for getting up into the city if you don't want to take a taxi?

Posted by
52 posts

Thanks for the response. Yes I'm just 26, and this is going to be my first trip to Europe. So very excited !!
I think the elevator is close to the train station and I'm planning to take the bus, but I have to see how far is that bus station (Plaza Elpitica) from my hotel or airbnb. I hate the fact that airbnb doesn't reveal the actual address. :(
Actually never thought about it, but the total costs if I take the train might be lower than the bus option as it's in the center of the city.

Posted by
27057 posts

On the Toledo end of the trip, the bus station is closer to the historic center than the train station. Walking from the bus station takes some time but is doable even with rolling luggage. Escalators take care of the uphill part. From the train station you might want to take the city bus. Or perhaps the little tourist vehicle going to the overlook has a stop at the train station.

The bracelet combo ticket may cover enough of your more minor sights to save you money.

Posted by
4573 posts

I ask the AirBnB host for the address. I usually get my own apartment rather than a room, but I have never been told 'no, I won't reveal it' if I have asked before committing to a booking. I've also found over the years that they are getting better about putting their pin in a more correct area of the map. Sometimes the reviews hint of location as well.
Spain is lovely. Have a great time!