Please sign in to post.

Toledo

Hi
We only have time in our itinerary for either Toledo or Gibraltar
Which one should we choose?

Posted by
3897 posts

Go for Toledo without a doubt. Gibraltar is a tourist trap.

Posted by
2945 posts

Toledo, I've been twice and highly recommend it. Gibraltar is not that convenient compared to Toledo.

Posted by
5207 posts

Highly recommend visiting Toledo, one of my favorite medieval cities in Spain!
If you have time, consider staying overnight.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi
Let me clarify a little.
We will be in Ronda for 2 or 3 nights and then returning to Seville. I guess I was wondering if an overnight in La Línea and a half a day in Gibraltar is something we should fit in? Or is there another day trip from Ronda that is better?
We will be flying in and out of Madrid so we actually could fit Toledo in at the beginning or end.
Thanks!,

Posted by
3897 posts

@willowdowling - the advice still stands, there are a plethora of more interesting things to see in Spain than Gibraltar. Regarding daytrips within a few hrs from Ronda, consider first the many Pueblos Blancos (like Zahara de la Sierra, Setenil de las Bodegas, Olvera etc.), or Cadiz, or Jerez de la Frontera, or the Roman Ruins of Baelo Claudia, or the Megalithic Tombs of Antequera, or the beaches of the Costa de la Luz.

Posted by
6524 posts

If you’re driving and if you’re headed north after Sevilla, it doesn’t make sense to head south to La Línea just to see the rock. That time could be better spent visiting either Zafra, Trujillo, Guadalupe, or Cáceres for a half day en route to Toledo, then on to Madrid. There are many more interesting places to visit than the La Línea and Gibraltar.

Posted by
7346 posts

Is the hilltown Arcos de la Frontera already on your agenda? If not, we enjoyed our one-night stay there, and it would be a worthwhile daytrip. If you wanted to go a bit further, you could combine it with a visit to Jerez, home of Sherry wine.

Otherwise, Toledo over Gibraltar/La Línea.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone!
Toledo it is and we’ll be staying overnight.
Ronda for 2 nights then to Seville to drop the car off and train to Toledo.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi
If we stayed overnight in the Jewish quarter (Toledo) would that be convenient to the major tourist attractions?
It seems a little out of the way but I’m not sure
Thanks

Posted by
4573 posts

As to your last question, Toledo is fairly walkable though it seems you need to walk 'up more than 'down, so Jewish Quarter is okay for sites. I am not sure if it still offers a multi site pass, but it was one of the few cities I found it worthwhile to buy one. I was there 2 nights so just used the pass museums to direct my days.
That being said, I found my hotel (Hotel Santa Isabel) location a little remote for meals. I am an experienced solo woman traveler, but trying to find nearby eateries for dinner before 10pm was challenging (and unnerving) and it meant walking several blocks on deserted streets. So before deciding where to sleep, check out where you may want to eat. Granted I was there in November, but it is the first time I really saw the impact of sleeping in a 'day visit tourist city. But don't get me wrong, Toledo deserves more than a day visit.

Posted by
6524 posts

Everything in the historic center of Toledo is walkable, unless you have mobility issues. The main sights are distributed throughout the historic center. The cathedral is a 10 minutes walk, Alcázar-15 minutes, San Juan de Los Reyes-4 minutes, Iglesia de Santo Tomé-3 minutes, Puente de San Martín-10 minutes, Puente de Alcántara-21 minutes, etc.

Posted by
3897 posts

The Jewish quarter is located at the bottom of town close to the river, for one day I think it is fine. You can walk to most major sites, just will have to start the day waking up hill rather than down. I stayed at the higher part of town close to the Alcázar, at Hotel Alfonso VI, plenty of good parking garages nearby.