Please sign in to post.

The Pyrenean Axis (N260)?

As part of our itinerary, we (husband and I) will be traveling from Cadaques to San Sebastian. Thinking of traveling N260 as a way to tour the Pyrenees on the way. Not finding much info on this route (beyond Fodor's mention of it). Can anyone provide feedback on the route? I was thinking of splitting it into two days, so we can relax/enjoy the scenery. Can anyone suggest a good halfway point to stop for the night?

Posted by
424 posts

N260 ahh! this is a fond memory. We drove along a good chunk of 260 on our tour of the Pyrenees. Fantastic scenic route. There are numerous roads to access the mountains with marvelous mountain hamlets and world class hiking Look at Boi , Taull, Benasque, Broto,Torla there are lots more. Ainsa would work for a 1/2 way stop. The road is in fine shape with little traffic but iit will take you a while even without stopping. We spent 6 nites en route and just scratched the surface.

Brad

Posted by
11156 posts

We drove on the French side of the Pyrenees and stayed overnight at Hostellerie de Sept Molles in Sauvterre de Comminges .Beautiful place, excellent dining.

Posted by
3901 posts

The Pyrenean Axis? A new military cooperative between Spain, Andorra, and France? lol JK 😆

But in reality Vielha is worth a stop too and makes a good base to explore the Val d'Aran. From there one can hike in Aigüestortes i Estany of Saint Maurici National Park or the nearby Vall de Boí with its 1000 year old UNESCO heritage-listed churches.

The little known region of Val d'Aran in the northwest corner of Catalonia is quite an interesting place with their own unique language Aranese. Here's an excellent recent BBC article about the area - https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20220117-aranese-spains-little-known-language