Please sign in to post.

Tangier in 2022

We will be extending our stay in Spain after our My Way tour ends in Sevilla.

Has anyone recently travelled from Sevilla to Tangier, in particular, as a day trip? I would be grateful for some advice on this possible plan.

Chris in Waterloo

Posted by
193 posts

I would appreciate info on this as well. We are planning to ferry over to Tangier from Tarifa in mid-September for a day trip. Plan to get a personal guide - any recommendations would be appreciated.

Posted by
6783 posts

Most people on this forum, myself included, will advise you not to attempt a day trip to Tangier from Seville.
You are looking at an almost 3 hour bus ride + 1 hour ferry crossing + boarding / disembarking procedures, each way, to go to a city, Tangier, which has improved a lot in the past 15 years, but is still far from the best Morocco has to offer. It is not worth the hassle...

From Tarifa, it already makes a bit more sense and could be a worthwhile adventure with the right state of mind.

Posted by
26829 posts

I'm a fan of Morocco but not of Tangier. Are you aware that it's easy to fly to some good destinations in Morocco (including Fes and Marrakech) from quite a few cities in Europe? You need more than one day to do that reasonably, of course, so it may not be practical for the currently-planned trip. But my point is that it isn't necessary to try to squeeze Morocco into a trip to Spain and subject yourself to so many hours of travel time just to end up in Tangier; you can combine time in one or several worthwhile cities in Morocco with a later visit to France, Germany, Italy, etc.

Posted by
6733 posts

acraven is spot-on.

A "day trip to Morocco" is pretty much like a "day trip to Mexico" -- you get a few hours experiencing a "bordertown" -- the absolute worst that a big, beautiful, fascinating country can offer (Tangier = Tijuana). Coming off the ferry you get a "grotesque" (Rick's word) manufactured-for-tourists carnival freak-show experience. If all you have is a day, that time is better spent in Spain. When you do make time for a real visit to Morocco (it's absolutely worth it), don't waste your time or money on Tangier....when you run the numbers, it's actually cheaper to just fly to one of the great cities where you actually want to be anyway (Marrakech, Fes) and you need more than a few hours to appreciate the place (just like if you were going to do a "day trip" to Italy or France). Best advice: plan a trip to Morocco when you can dedicate at least a few days at an absolute minimum (a week would be good), and go to where the good stuff is (the old cities: Marrakech, Fes, Meknes, Essouaria, over the the High Atlas Mountains to the desert south, and more). And fly there directly -- it's dirt cheap (you will be shocked by how cheap) and super-easy from many cities around western Europe. Hint: Morocco is a very popular "fun in the sun" destination for Europeans -- yes, it's exotic, but it's also a mass-tourist destination for Europeans (so super-cheap flights and crowds of tourists who look just like you).